The original article was at Heckler & Koch HK417. The list of authors can be seen in the page history.
As with Rainbow Six Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the CreativeCommons BY-SA 3.0 License.
- "Semi-automatic marksman rifle with limited magazine capacity. Favored by GIGN."
— In-game description
The HK417 is a battle rifle designed and manufactured by Heckler & Koch in Germany. It is a gas-operated, selective fire rifle with a rotating bolt. It's chambered for the full-power 7.62×51mm NATO round, instead of the less powerful 5.56×45mm NATO intermediate cartridge. The HK417 is intended for use in roles where the greater penetrative power and range of the 7.62×51mm NATO round are required. It has been adopted for service by a number of armed forces, special forces, and police organizations.
In-game, the 417 combines incredible damage, great controllability and a decent damage dropoff. Additionally, it has higher destructive power than assault rifles of its size, needing only around 5-10 shots to breach a hatch.
- High damage per shot
- Low recoil
- Mild damage dropoff
- Limited close range capabilities
- Originally, the rifle was modeled with a 20 round magazine and incorrectly fed 10 rounds out of the said magazine. Since Operation Ember Rise, it now feeds the correct 20 rounds.
- As stated before, the real life HK417 is selective fire. However, due to being a DMR, the 417 in-game is semi-auto only. As a result, the selector switch is permanently set to semi-automatic.
- Initially, the 417 could not be equipped with a reflex sight. This was was fixed in Operation Shadow Legacy.