- "When I was little, my savta taught me that 'Silence was a women's best garment'. But, I have to admit, I never really took her advice to heart."
Cohen's mother is a renowned Jewish political activist and professor while her Palestinian father is a professor of Middle Eastern Studies. Cohen was raised in Israel, excelling in Mathematics and Physics. She earned a degree in Structural Engineering at Tel Aviv University and spend a few semesters at Boston University.
Cohen then enlisted in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF). After undergoing the rigorous twenty-two month training for the elite Air Force unit, Shaldag, she served five years. Skilled in ground and airborne operations, all-weather and all-terrain navigation and reconnaissance, she was invaluable in Operation Orchard. She was later transferred to FBI SWAT due to an international law enforcement exchange program. Cohen applied her degree in Engineering and gift in structural resistance to develop advanced demolition tactics and equipment. Along with Hebrew, Cohen is fluent in Arabic, English, French and Greek.
I had several meetings with Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen before I gave up on convincing her to not see me as a commanding officer. She asked so many probing questions, it was starting to feel as though she were analyzing me.
Cohen isn't interested in discussing her childhood. There's resentment toward a judgmental grandmother, but no lasting trauma. Military service acted as an escape from family tensions and appealed to her ordered and focused personality. Cohen added that she appreciates high-risk, high-reward scenarios, but didn't elaborate on what level of personal risk is acceptable.
Her identity is intertwined with her military training and operations. Extracting anything personal from the tangle is difficult. Cohen is cautious and doesn't cultivate many close relationships. Her bond with Specialist Miles "Castle" Campbell is therefore important to her - and I would say to the team as well. It's certainly a good pairing. Campbell's amenable personality enables Cohen to step out of her comfort zone without feeling self-conscious or judged.
Cohen uses other people's assessments to describe herself: She told me that Specialists Dominic "Bandit" Brunsmeier and James "Smoke" Porter tell her she's too serious," while others describe her as "intense," and that she enjoys being proven right. So I asked if she thought those descriptions were accurate. She told me that she only cares about whether the other operators respect her. I'm confident they do.
On operations, Cohen is exemplary: She thinks fast, and her aggressive style almost always puts her at an advantage. During debriefs, however, I've noticed a different kind of focus. The residual stress of combat causes her to dwell on every misstep, perceived or real. Self-evaluation is understandable from someone so highly skilled, but it also has an effect on her team. It's important to encourage her to process the events as a joint effort and not simply assume the critique alone. Cohen - like all operators - knows there will be situations she can't prepare for. And yet, she alone allows the stress of the unknown to eat at her. This will need to be addressed.
A Light Armored Operator, Ash comes equipped with the M120 CREM. It can shoot up to three Breaching Rounds, which will burrow into a surface and detonate automatically.
- Ash is equipped with a single-shot grenade launcher that can fire Breaching Rounds. When one Breaching Round is fired, Ash reloads the grenade launcher with her other Breaching Round.
- Breaching Rounds are unaffected by gravity and do not drop off at range.
- Breaching Rounds have no projectile size; they can pass through openings that are as small as a bullet hole.
- After striking a surface, the Breaching Round will stick to the surface and explode after a short delay.
- The explosion of the breaching round deals high damage, but has a small radius and cannot one-hit-kill enemies at 100 health. It deals a maximum of 85 damage to 1 Armor Operators.
- Getting struck directly by a Breaching Round will result in dealing 50 damage, regardless of armor, though the charge will not explode.
- The Breaching Round is affected by electricity from Bandit's Shock Wires or Kaid's Electroclaws. If the Breaching Round strikes an electrified gadget, the Breaching Round will be instantly destroyed, and will not explode.
- Jäger's Active Defense System can intercept the Breaching Rounds if they're within their range.
- If Mira has deployed a Black Mirror on an unreinforced wall, she can instantly destroy the Black Mirror (and the wall) by firing a breaching round on the Black Mirror itself.
- If caught in Wamai's Mag-NET it will pull in the breaching round and cause a smaller explosion around the Mag-NET.
- Ash can fire her Breaching Rounds at surfaces that would normally be hard or impossible to reach for a Breach Charge, like higher windows or even ceilings.
- The Breaching Rounds can easily destroy Deployable Shields and can injure the Operator behind it. The explosion can also destroy Barbed Wire very quickly.
- Certain destructible walls can't be completely covered by Reinforcements, and an uncovered destructible gap exists at the top of the wall. Ash can easily destroy the gaps with the Breaching Rounds and shoot through the gaps.
- "Fires an explosive Breach Round that burrows into a surface and automatically detonates."
— M120 CREM Description
The M120 CREM was developed as a portable projectile breaching weapon. Similar to other explosive breaching tools used by American and Israeli armed forces, the M120 CREM is capable of breaching through doors without the need to focus on destroying hinges or locks for entry. Unlike other explosive breaching methods, the M120 CREM is comparatively portable with its decreased size and weight, allowing it to be carried as a secondary weapon. The M120 CREM has been successfully utilized by FBI SWAT in penetrating fortified compounds during hostage and search and rescue operations.
Device: M120 CREM Breaching Rounds
Operator: Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Elena "Mira" Alvarez
Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen was not thrilled when she saw me examining her M120 CREM Breaching Rounds. She paced around me like a leopard stalking prey. I'm the Director, I'm perfectly capable of being professional. Specialist Cohen is very hands-on and from the start she directed the design and function of the M120 CREM. Up close, I can see that it's well-designed. What surprised me was how the titanium drill bit is designed like a threaded needle so that it "injects" the detcord into the surface. That explains why the damage zone is so effective. If there's another counter besides Jäger's Active Defense System, I'll find it. In the meantime one strategy that works pretty well is knowing that Miss KickInTheDoor tends to get caught up in her own hype and rush ahead without enough intel. My examination of the M120 CREM provided some solid insights, plus it was fun. Ash seemed worried that I might mess with it. I don't need to flip switches on her gear to win.
- - Dr. Elena "Mira" Alvarez, Director of R&D
- Ash developed a rivalry with GEO Operator Elena María "Mira" Álvarez following Operation Blue Orion.
- This is noted well within her gadget evaluation, with Mira going as far to call her "Miss KickInTheDoor", a reference to memes regarding Ash players rushing into objectives without enough intel.
- In 2004, Ash had to step in to resolve an altercation between Spetsnaz Operator Shurat "Fuze" Kessikbayev and SDU Operator Siu "Ying" Mei Lin, the latter of whom considered the former to be a "questionable asset" due to believing that he had a disregard for civilian lives. The events of this altercation were redacted.
- Ash's invitational charm (titled "Ash's Service") shows a photo of her with her savta (grandmother), and Ash wearing typical IDF (Israeli Defense Force) uniform, thus the photo was likely taken when Ash was much younger while serving in the IDF.
- Ash strongly opposed Kali and Wamai's recruitment into Rainbow, telling Six he was "making a mistake".
- As of Operation Shifting Tides, Ash was the only Operator to feature two purchasable Elite sets.
- So far, Ash is the only operator to have three elite sets.
- Ash's date of birth was originally stated in-game as 1983, however this has since been removed.
- Ash's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- Ash's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- Mira's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- Operation Blood Orchid - Operator: Ying (螢)
- Ying's In-game BIO > NOTES section