- "Top break, over-under double-barrel shotgun. Long-range and in tactical configuration."
— In-game description
Unlike other shotguns, the BOSG.12.2 fires a single slug instead of a spread of individual pellets, giving it a much longer range and higher damage with a single shell. Also unlike other shotguns, headshots are enabled for the BOSG.12.2.
The high damage output of the BOSG.12.2 makes it possible to kill or take down a Light or Medium Armored Operator with one single shot at close range. It is possible to fire two shots in quick succession to take down Heavy Armored Operators, but the high recoil demands a quick downward "whip" to compensate.
The BOSG.12.2 has high destructive capabilities, being able to destroy unreinforced hatches with a few shots; the actual damage potential depends on the number of hatch "beams" the slug goes through, so a flat angle minimizes the number of shots needed. The BOSG.12.2 can also destroy the wooden "beams" in double-layered walls if aimed at them correctly
- Originally, kills with the BOSG.12.2 do not count towards any shotgun challenges in the Weekly Challenge System, only rifle challenges. This has since been fixed.
- At one point on the Technical Test Server, the BOSG.12.2 was able to create holes on the windows on Presidential Plane. However, this was removed for unknown reasons.
- The BOSG 12.2 appears to be based on the Stoeger Double Defense Over and Under shotguns. The shape of its stock and top rail draws some inspiration from the Mossberg Maverick HS-12 shotgun.
- As of Operation Shadow Legacy, the BOSG.12.2 is the only defender weapon capable of equipping the ACOG sight (Scope 2.5x).
- The BOSG.12.2 has an arguable DPS.