- "Follow me. I know a shortcut."
A Montreal native, Côté comes from a long line of military veterans. The middle of three, Côté grew up in a close-knit family. Côté always wanted to lead an unconventional life. To achieve this, he enrolled in the Canadian Armed Force Reserves via the Regular Officer Training Plan, which allowed him to attend Université du Québec and obtain a bachelors in criminology. After graduation, he enlisted full time in the Canadian Army and was assigned to the Military Police. After separating from the military, Côté joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. His specialized training in high-risk situations, both long- and close-range, marine rescue, and armed ship boarding allowed him easy acceptance to join the RCMP Emergency Response Team.
After excelling in his ERT role he was invited by the Canadian military to re-up and become a member of JTF2. Côté continued to expand his repertoire of skills, including high-speed tactical driving on both land and water, hazardous materials management, and hostage rescue. In 2015, he was recruited to join Rainbow alongside Tina Lin Tsang.
Highly pragmatic, Côté will always take the shortest distance between two points. He is not one to mince words or become hyperbolic. He enjoys simple mechanical devices rather than the more high-tech arsenal employed by other members of Team Rainbow.
When under stress, he exhibits self-discipline and adaptive thinking. His friendly and intuitive leadership style makes him one of the more flexible team members. Along with French and English, Côté speaks fluent Pashto and is currently enrolled in Kanien'kéha (Mohawk) studies for personal interest. 
Specialist Sebastian "Buck" Côté is one of those easy-going people who can settle into any conversation and make everyone comfortable. I enjoy our sessions together. In our first encounters, he was formal but not necessarily closed off. I can see why, in social settings, he's described as laid-back. In the field, his tendency to meld well with a wide range of people is recognized by those with a tactical eye, but is appreciated by all who work with him. […]
Côté has an adverturous spirit and, for someone who is a veteran of the forces, approaches his work with fresh enthusiasm. He was raised with tales of his voyageur ancestors who paddled the rivers across Canada, worked as fur trappers, and helped map the north for the railroad and mining industries. He told me he only recently discovered that his great-grandfather almost drowned in rapids but was rescued by his Mohawk friend. If it hadn't been for this friend, Côté's father wouldn't have been born. So as thanks, Côté told me, he plans to learn the language.
This is a great illustration of Côté at his core. Though he is eager to make a difference in the world, his approach is sensible and realistic. He works toward actual results and the effort required doesn't deter him. […]
He grew up in close-knit family, the middle of three. I gather the entire family is very physically active and Côté says most of his activities are centered around the outdoors. That said, he was happy to share his fascination with mechanical puzzles. It's an intricate maze of metal pieces that fit together and the challenge is to reassemble them. Côté told me that his uncle taught him how to make them and he's been doing it ever since. The one he showed me was not only designed by him, but Côté machined the pieces as well. Being able to design and craft this type of complex structure demonstrates Côté analytical mind and artistry. I just wish that he hadn't left it with me. It's proving embarrassingly difficult for me to solve.
A Medium Armored Operator, Buck's unique gadget is an underbarrel shotgun mounted under his weapon known as the "Skeleton Key", otherwise designated as the SK 4-12. The shotgun has a higher destructive potential than any of the other shotguns.
- Using the special gadget button (PC: MMB) will switch between Buck's current firearm and the attached Skeleton Key underbarrel shotgun. The Skeleton Key operates like any other firearm.
- Castle's Armor Panels will slow Buck down as the Skeleton Key cannot destroy the Armor Panels.
- The Skeleton Key is semi-automatic. It holds 5 + 1 shells with 20 shells in reserve.
- The Skeleton Key is not considered as a gadget with unique ammo, so ammo boxes in respective gamemodes will refill its reserves.
- The Skeleton Key has very low recoil and can easily destroy walls and eliminate enemies.
- The Skeleton Key is significantly more destructive than other shotguns, with each pellet able to destroy large chunks from the destructible surface.
- The Skeleton Key has a maximum damage of approximately 60 per pellet. Compared to other shotguns, the Skeleton Key's damage dropoff is greater, reaching 15 damage per pellet by 14m.
- Buck, much like Sledge, is an Operator meant for quick breaches, as his Skeleton Key is able to break through non-reinforced surfaces better than any other available shotgun in the game.
- Due to its superior destructive capabilities, firing the Skeleton Key from a bit farther away from a surface is a viable tactic in spreading pellets out more for larger holes.
- The Skeleton Key, while not meant to be used for combat, can deal some quick shotgun damage at close range. Its effective range is very short however.
- The Skeleton Key can destroy floors above and below an objective in order to effectively take out gadgets and enemies.
- "Toggles under-barrel shotgun attachment on his main weapon."
— SK 4-12 Description
The Skeleton Key, an under-barrel mounted 12 gauge shotgun, allows Buck to swiftly breach and target hostiles. By changing hand positions on his assault rifle, he is able to quickly switch from ranged to close-quarter combat. The Skeleton Key is also an effective breaching tool to destroy barricades or create a line of sight.
Device: SK 4-12 Skeleton Key
Operator: Specialist Sebastian "Buck" Côté
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Tina Lin "Frost" Tsang
Due to a classified deployment Specialist Côté wasn't available for this evaluation as planned. Since I happen to have some expertise with powerful shotguns, I offered to step in. Like its owner, the SK 4-12 Skeleton Key rifle-mounted shotgun isn't complicated, though the toggling mechanism is intricately engineered.
Even in downtown, Buck looks for the shortest distance between two points (this is why we never play pool together) so during an operation it makes sense that he'd prefer the direct route to get things done. The Skeleton Key is a hammer of a weapon. Breaching and engagement occur in fast and smooth succession. No wonder it's the Special Ops go-to weapon.
Using it to open a wall is straight-forward but my test scores indicated that I used more rounds than Buck typically does. I've booked some extra time in the range to see if I can improve my score and challenge him to a contest when he gets back!
- - Tina
- The name of the under-barrel mounted shotgun, Skeleton Key, alludes to the KAC Masterkey under-barrel mounted shotgun, as a Skeleton key is a type of Master key. The names of both shotguns allude to their use as door breaching shotguns.
- The weapon itself is based on the M26 MASS underbarrel shotgun.
- The spiked muzzle at the end of the shotgun barrel is intended for digging the shotgun into the wood around the weak points in a door so that a proper ballistic breach can be performed. Failing to stabilize the weapon during a ballistic breach could lead to the operator needing to use more shots than necessary, blowing their cover, making the spiked muzzle a very handy tool for door breaching. Of course, in Siege, this mechanic is not present.
- His blood type is O+ according to one of the pouches on his rig.
- A patch showing the flag of Quebec, Buck's birth province, is present on his right arm.
- Kills with the Skeleton Key underbarrel, despite being listed as a gadget, do not count towards any gadget challenges in the Weekly Challenge System, only shotgun challenges.
- Buck's date of birth was originally stated in-game as 1980, however this has since been removed.
- Buck's In-game BIO
- Update 2.0 Patch Notes - Black Ice
- Buck's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- Buck's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- Calibre-Based Destruction: Bullet Holes - Rainbow Six | Siege
- Best shotgun in Rainbow Six Siege?
- Buck's In-game BIO (Pre-Patch 3.1.2)