- "I've learned from experience that the place to save lives is in the field, not an office. And sometimes the only way to save a life, is to take one."
Gustave "Doc" Kateb is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Kateb grew up in an affluent family, in Paris' 16th arrondissement. At twenty, he abandoned a potentially prominent private medical practice in favor of a career with the French Defense Health Service.
Kateb demonstrates a high degree of empathy for human suffering; he is a rare genuine altruist. He sees military service (especially the role of CTUs like GIGN) as noble in their dedication to protecting civilians. He considers the front line his natural habitat, as it provides him with the opportunity to have direct influence and impact of the welfare of the unit. His proclivity for conflict resolution makes him a valuable asset.
A Heavy Armored Operator, Doc's Unique Gadget is the MPD-0 Stim Pistol. It is able to revive and heal allies from afar.
- The Stim Pistol is suited for revitalizing Defenders, healing 40 health to any Operator that Doc hits with it, including Attackers. It is also able to revive downed Operators from afar with a single shot.
- If used to revive an Operator, it will instead revive them to 75% of their baseline health, compared to a manual revive that restores only 50.
- The revive process for the Stim Pistol is also shorter than a standard revive, taking only 2.75 seconds compared to 4 seconds of a regular revive.
- Although the Stim Pistol has travel time unlike other guns, there is still no projectile drop.
- The Stim Pistol also has pinpoint hipfire accuracy, thus not requiring to aim down sight to make accurate hits.
- When in hand, the action button (PS4: R1; XBOX: RB; PC: MMB) allows Doc to use the Pistol on himself, including reviving himself if downed.
- Pressing the action button again does not holster the Stim Pistol back to whatever gun Doc had switched out with. Meaning, he has to switch with the other action button (PS4: △; XBOX ONE: Y; PC: 1 (Primary) or 2 (Secondary)) to avoid accidentally using the Stim Pistol on himself.
- The Pistol also has the capability to Overheal other players or himself. Overheal effectively gives the respective Operator a buffer beyond their maximum health.
- Any Operator can only have up to 40 extra health from an Overheal, which decays at a rate of 1 health per second.
- During a Multiplayer match, Doc only has 3 shots per round. In Terrorist Hunt, he has 5.
- Doc works especially well with fellow GIGN defending Operator Rook and his Armor Plates, which grants those who wear the Plates heightened defenses and a greater chance of being downed than killed.
- "Fires a hypodermic shot to revive himself or teammates from a distance. Can also provide a temporary boost."
— MPD-0 Stim Pistol Description
A handheld, trigger-operated pistol powered by a pressurized CO2 charge delivering a 1mg dose of epinephrine in a saline solution.
While careful close range medical care is obviously preferable in the case of a major combat injury, fast-paced real-world operations require a more flexible approach to treating field casualties. The reviving jolt that Doc administers with expert marksmanship can often spell the difference between mission success and failure when each second is precious.
- Doc is the first Operator who is able to perform an Operator specific action while down but not out.
- Doc is at odds with fellow GIGN Operator and CBRN specialist Olivier "Lion" Flament, whose actions in an incident in West Africa in 2015 for reasons of safety caused the deaths of several medical personnel, including one of Doc's colleagues. Doc thinks Lion lacks the empathy necessary to help in medical crises, while the latter think's that the former's humanitarianism is a liability.
- Doc is one of the few known individuals who know about the resurfacing neuropathy of Spetsnaz Operator and CBRN specialist Lera "Finka" Melnikova. He monitors her CMT in order to make sure that it doesn't affect her performance.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|