- "Being afraid of a disease is sometimes worse than the disease itself. There is no cure for fear, so either you surrender to it or you fight it until one of you wins."
Lera was nine when she was diagnosed with a neuropathy that included the slow degeneration of muscles and the loss of sensation in the limbs and extremities. Born three years after the Chernobyl disaster in the irradiated city of Gomel, Belarus, she grew up around children already suffering from birth defects. Her diagnosis was the realization of her fears, so when her parents encouraged her and her younger siblings to be physically active, she pushed herself even harder, determined to keep her body in peak condition to weather the neuropathy. She could not be sick if she stayed healthy, her young mind reasoned.
All three Melnikova children grew up playing sports, with Lera excelling at those requiring agility and finesse but there was always the knowledge that the neuropathy would worsen unless someone found a more permanent solution. She decided that someone was herself.
Lera moved to Novosibirsk to study at Novosibirsk State University and graduated with a PhD in Microbiology and Immunology. She remained at NSU in the Biotechnology and Virology Laboratory, her research uncovering treatments for a variety of pathogens and neuropathies including her own through drugs and self-dissolving nanites. While she hadn’t found a cure, she had found remission.
Lera might have stayed in Academia had she not received a visit from the Federal Security Service of the Russian Federation (FSB). Russian Spetsnaz operators and special agents faced the ever-growing danger of exposure to hazardous materials including organophosphorus agents like VX gas. For the first time in her life, Lera began thinking outside of her own concerns. Her research had saved the lives of perfect strangers, and now they were reaching out to her, sending grateful postcards and photos and letters. She could have a greater impact still. Lera jumped at the chance to work with Spetsnaz volunteers in a variety of conditions as she adapted the nanobots to their high-performance physiologies. Quickly, she came to enjoy the sense of competition, camaraderie, and the mental toughness of the Russian Special Forces members. She joined the Army with an eye on becoming a Red Beret herself, on the front lines of saving lives as a Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear (CBRN) specialist.
Serving in the Russian Army, Lera rapidly proved herself physically and mentally tough enough to try out for the Spetsnaz. It was a brutal course, culminating in Close Quarter Battle (CQB) knife training with Kapkan. A misstep and a flourish from Kapkan, however, opened her face from brow to cheek, but Lera went for a series of bone-breaking punches to his nose and ribs before the pain overwhelmed her. They spent the night in the med tent, neither of them speaking, but enjoying a new, unspoken respect between them. From that day forward, she'd earned her moniker, Finka or "Knife."
Lera became the Spetsnaz CBRN Specialist, joining the Vympel Unit under the FSB and using her nanobots to help her unit survive hot zones; she was one of the only people capable of tailoring the nanobots to specific operators.
Her work in restructuring Russian battlefield protocols in the handling and neutralization of dangerous payloads earned her notice, and she became the go-to expert when it came to joint exercises with other CTUs. Six invited Lera to help Rainbow Six put together a CRBN unit of their own with Olivier "Lion" Flament as her first pick.
Lera discovered that her neuropathy was slowly growing resistant to treatment. The old fears returned, every ache and pain analyzed and scrutinized as she pushed herself even harder to peak performance.
Now, she constantly tweaks and modifies her formula to stave off twinges and numbness that she imagines might be the onset of decline. She pushes herself to the point of throwing up after workouts with IQ and Valkyrie, though only Valkyrie understands that punishing limit of physical fitness. Lera unable to distinguish between the disease and normal fatigue and is driven by her fears and made excellent by them in the same maddening moment. She is not young anymore, though, but more desperate than ever to hold on to her life. She is trying to find a new treatment while keeping it a secret, but Doc knows and is closely monitoring her CMT in case it begins to affect her performance. She has not shared this with anyone else, not Kapkan who is her no-nonsense mentor, and not Tachanka with whom she drinks and flirts.
A Medium Armored Operator, Finka comes equipped with her specially-designed nanobots. Having them injected into each of her teammates prior to each mission, her Adrenal Surge allows affected allies to gain a temporary boost in health and a reduction in recoil, on top of other small benefits.
- Three times per round, Finka is able to activate "Adrenal Surge" for 10 seconds. Adrenal Surge has a 20-second cooldown between activations.
- Adrenal Surge grants the following benefits:
- A temporary 20 health increase.
- The health buff is independent of the player's actual health capacity, allowing the player to be Overhealed beyond their normal health capacity.
- Even when this health buff is depleted, the other effects of Adrenal Surge will continue for the full duration.
- When the Adrenal Surge's duration is over, whatever temporary health is left will vanish. However, this will not reduce the Attacker's health below what they had initially.
- Recoil while Aiming Down Sights is reduced by about 45%.
- Time to Aim Down Sights is increased by 25%.
- Reload time for guns and gadgets such as Ash's Breach Launcher is decreased by about 15%.
- Movement in Barbed Wire is increased by ~40%.
- The effects of gadgets like Stun Grenades and Ying's Candelas are reduced by 50%.
- The effects of concussion gadgets like Ela's Grzmot Mines and Zofia's Concussion Grenades are reduced by 70%, as well as override them if activated after being concussed.
- Tinnitus from explosions are instantly removed.
- Adrenal Surge can also be used on downed allies, reviving them with 5 health, alongside the temporary 20 health boost. The revival process takes the same duration as the revival by Doc's Stim Pistol, which is 2.75 seconds.
- Due to the nanobots being delivered to only the Attackers on-site, the Adrenal Surge will not affect the Hostage.
- Finka cannot self-revive, as she is unable to activate it while downed.
- Finka's Adrenal Surge works well with Attackers who work best in active gunfights, allowing someone like Blackbeard to prevail due to the Adrenal Surge's ability to increase recoil control and reduce ADS time.
- Because Adrenal Surge is also able to grant an increased resistance to Blinding and Concussion effects, Ying and Zofia work well with Finka.
- While Ying is already immune to her own Candelas, allied Attackers can make use of Adrenal Surge to recover faster from the Blinding effect as well.
- In Zofia's case, due to her innate resistance to Concussion Effects, the combined resistance causes her to recover from the effects in around a single second.
- The Adrenal Surge can be halted outright by certain Defenders.
- Echo's Yokai can use its ultrasonic blasts to halt an active Adrenal Surge. However, this interaction is mutual as the Adrenal Surge will override the disorienting effects of the Yokai drone if activated afterwards.
- Lesion's Gu Mines will halt an active Surge, but it also cannot be overridden with another.
- Adrenal Surges can't be used to revive players caught in one of Frost's Welcome Mats.
- Finka's activation method for her gadget is signal based. Naturally, being within the range of one of Mute's Signal Disruptors will prevent Finka from activating the device.
- The Adrenal Surge also has some downsides when encountering certain Defenders.
- Pulse's Cardiac Sensor detects Attackers boosted by Adrenal Surge from further away (Up to 14 meters compared to the usual 9 meters) due to their heart beating at a faster rate.
- Smoke's Remote Gas Grenades deal 50% more damage to Attackers under the effects of Adrenal Surge, as affected Operators will be breathing harder and faster during that time, inhaling in more gas.
- "The nanobots give the team a brief gain in HP and revives allies in a DBNO state."
— Adrenal Surge Description
- The term Finka (Russian: Финка) refers to a type of knife, specifically Finnish ones.
- Finka and Lion's codenames were first revealed on February 1st, 2018.
- Finka has recently taken to creating a wall of letters and photos in her workspace as a reminder that her treatments are more than just about helping herself. She still fears that the wall might get ahead of her.
- Finka's Operator card shows her Spear .308 equipped with the standard Holographic Sight model despite using the Russian models in-game.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|
- ↑ Finka's In-game BIO (Pre-Patch 3.1.2)
- ↑ Finka's In-game BIO
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Operation Chimera: Finka's Story
- ↑ Finka's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND Section
- ↑ Finka's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE Section
- ↑ Rainbow Six Siege: Operation Chimera, Outbreak Co-Op Event Coming in March
- ↑ Finka's In-game BIO > NOTES Section