- "Getting the job done often requires a creative approach. That's where I come in."
Santiago Lucero grew up in the town of Buenos Aires, Argentina, and was raised by his mother. Lucero's father, a political activist, was known to stand up for what he believed in, no matter the consequences. His father's activism ultimately led to his death when Lucero was a few years old. As he grew older, his mother's health slowly declined. To help provide for them, Lucero got involved with organized crime as a teenager. After seeing first-hand the detrimental effects criminal activity was having on his community, Lucero resolved to better himself by enrolling in the National Military College. While unimpressed with the school, he later graduated and earned a military engineering degree. Despite this, Lucero was unfulfilled with work in the public sector. This drew him to burglary as an occupation, and he found purpose in robbing powerful criminals to give back to the poor. Operating in the Flores district of Buenos Aires, Lucero’s notoriety grew and he came to be known as ‘the Man from Flores.’
In 2016, Lucero's identity was eventually exposed when crime lords had tracked their stolen money. They learned that it had not only been given back to the community but that it was being used to pay for Lucero's mother's hospital bills. In retaliation, they killed Lucero's mother and he was forced to flee. Coincidently, Eliza “Ash” Cohen had been in Buenos Aires investigating smuggling rings when she happened upon Lucero. Ash offered him asylum in the United States in exchange for providing evidence against the town's most ruthless crime lords. Lucero gladly accepted and started a new life in Los Angeles. Lucero opened his own food truck from which he operated heists for five years. It was also during this time that he met and married his husband.
In early 2021, Ash became aware of his activities and sent Miles "Castle" Campbell and César "Goyo" Hernández to recruit him into Rainbow. Lucero accepted their offer as he wanted to return the favor to Ash and saw it as a stable future in which he could build a family. As a test, Ash, Castle, and Goyo observed Lucero perform one last heist on the home of a crime boss in Los Angeles. Afterwards, Ash flew Lucero to Greece and met with him outside of the Stadium. Ash explained that she wanted him to join Rainbow in order to monitor Jaimini "Kali" Shah and figure out what she was planning. Lucero accepted the offer and started reviewing confidential documents about Kali. He then started training with the other operators the following week.
Lucero continued digging for information over the next couple of months but found nothing substantial. Following Anja “Osa” Janković's recruitment into Rainbow, Lucero questioned Håvard "Ace" Haugland. He learned of Osa’s background and that she was behind Nighthaven's technology. Lucero later told Ash of his findings, including Osa’s close relationship with Kali. He also confirmed that he had not found anything suspicious about Nighthaven yet and expressed doubts on Ash's judgements about Kali and her organization. Despite this, Lucero agreed to continue digging.
"Because of his stubborn and perfectionist nature, Specialist Santiago “Flores” Lucero struggles to separate the personal from the professional. He likes to put people at ease and regularly cracks jokes, but he often gets in his own way by overanalyzing mundane situations.
I can understand the impulse to cover all possibilities, considering his mother was killed in retaliation of his activities in Buenos Aires. He needs to realize that he’s in good hands here. In the long run, I’m certain his interactions with the others, particularly Specialist Eliza “Ash” Cohen, with whom he’s already familiar, will help him let down his guard.
As a bonding exercise, I had Santiago cook his favorite Argentinian meals for us to share and it became easier to dive into deeper subjects. I learned that despite his charms, he’s not afraid to be vocal about social issues and his efforts to give back to impoverished communities. He also confessed that his marriage was as much of a surprise to him as it was to me. Maybe in time we’ll find out why his husband isn’t bothered by his criminal career.
We also delved into how his childhood shaped who he is today. While he adheres to this traditional idea of “machismo,” he’s quick to point out that his mother taught him to think independently. He has no memories of his father and his political activism, but he likes to talk about how his mother was proud of him for also doing what he felt was right, regardless of the consequences. [...]
I’m glad Santiago has been taking the time to observe everyone else’s methods in order to improve his own. He learned a lot at the Colegio Militar in El Palomar and I’m sure his years of criminal activity helped in that regard. However, I believe his budding friendship with Specialists Grace “Dokkaebi” Nam and Tori “Gridlock” Fairous, based mostly on technology and food, will be greatly beneficial.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
Gridlock here. Ash was busy, so she asked me to update you on specialist Santiago “Flores” Lucero’s progress. She must’ve noticed that we often have lunch together, along with Dokkaebi. What can I say? He loves tech and mechanics, so the three of us have a lot in common.
He’s excited about the resources we offer, and he spends a good bit of time up in Mira’s business. I doubt she appreciates having him looking over her shoulder, but with time she’ll realize he can be an asset for her. He’s always made his own tools and weapons, and he’s got a different perspective from hers.
Flores doesn’t talk much about growing up in Buenos Aires, but he has heaps to say about the crime lords he used to steal from, both there and in Los Angeles. They’re grand tales of heroism, and I’m inclined to believe them. Ash made it very clear that he’s not just a master thief, but a professional with convictions. I doubt she would have helped him get out of Argentina if she didn’t respect him.
In general, I’d say he’s a good mate. A bit awkward, but he listens when others speak, which is more than I can say for a lot of people. Every night he calls home to talk to his husband, but he’s very private about their relationship (with me at least). He cares about people in general, but his marriage is on another level. Even when he takes off his ring, it never leaves his person.
I’m glad Ash got him on board. I’m sure she had her own reasons, but I don’t think that matters in the grand scheme of things. What does matter is the expertise Flores brings, his perspective, and the shiny little explosive invention he brought along. I’m excited to see him in action, I have a feeling a lot of people will be surprised."
A Medium Health Attacker, Flores' Unique Gadget is the RCE-RATERO Drone, an explosive drone device which can be controlled remotely like a regular drone.
- Flores starts with one regular Drone in the Prep Phase and another during the Action Phase. Additionally, Flores has 4 of his RCE-RATERO Drones during the Action Phase.
- The RCE-RATERO can jump like a normal drone, with the same cooldown time between jumps (3 seconds).
- The RCE-RATERO is able to fit in drone holes and can jump onto environmental props when active.
- The RCE-RATERO's set timer is 10 seconds. After the timer reaches 0, the drone will automatically anchor itself to its position and detonate under the safety of the bulletproof armor.
- When the RCE-RATERO is deployed it will automatically begin moving forward once Flores has entered its feed. During its lifespan the drone will be unable to reverse or stop in place, no matter what.
- Pressing the gadget button once will trigger the RCE-RATERO drone into its bulletproof armor state, after which it will detonate within 3 seconds.
- The drone, once prompted to detonate, will close a bulletproof shell around itself. This process is quick and nearly instantaneous.
- Whenever the drone is set into its bulletproof armor stage, it will attach itself to the nearest wall or floor, and produce an explosion.
- If Flores disengages manual control of the RCE-RATERO before it enters its bulletproof state, it will keep going forward in a straight line and enter the bulletproof state automatically once the timer runs out. It will also be impossible to regain control of the deployed RCE-RATERO once this action occurs.
- The explosion will deal heavy damage to both allies and enemies. The damage caused by the RCE-RATERO's explosion is similar to a Nitro Cell.
- The RCE-RETERO will not affect Mira's Black Mirror.
- The explosion has a radius of 3 meters, and can destroy gadgets such as:
- Deployable Shields
- Barbed Wire
- Bulletproof Cameras
- Proximity Alarms
- Mute's Signal Disrupters
- Castle's Armor Panels
- Kapkan's Entry Denial Devices
- Jäger's Active Defense Systems
- Bandit's Shock Wires
- Frost's Welcome Mats
- Valkyrie's Black Eye Cameras
- Echo's Yokai Drones
- Lesion's Gu Mines
- Ela's Grzmot Mines
- Maestro's Evil Eyes
- Alibi's Prismas
- Kaid's Electroclaws
- Mozzie's Pests and Drones hacked by Mozzie, if not destroyed before exploding
- Goyo's Volcán Shields
- Wamai's Mag-NETs
- Melusi's Banshees
- In addition to destroying enemy gadgets, it will also destroy friendly gadgets.
- If the drone latches onto an unreinforced wall, it will create an Impact Grenade sized hole once it has detonated.
- The drone's explosion can immediately break open unreinforced hatches.
- The RCE-RATERO is vulnerable to any source of damage before going into its bulletproof armor state.
- Once in its bulletproof armor state, the only thing that can destroy the RCE-RATERO are darts fired from Twitch's Shock Drones and any source of explosive damage. This includes:
- The RCE-RATERO drone will be able to safely destroy anti-projectile gadgets, such as Jager's ADSs and Wamai's Mag-NETS since they cannot intercept the drones.
- The RCE-RATERO can be used to remotely destroy gadgets which disrupt Attackers such as Maestro's Evil Eyes or Melusi's Banshees.
- The RCE-RATERO can destroy unreinforced walls and hatches, giving allies another option for breaching entrances.
- The RCE-RATERO can destroy Bandit's Shock Wires and Kaid's Electroclaws and prevent "Bandit Tricking" at the same time, opening opportunities for Thermite, Hibana, and Ace to breach reinforced surfaces.
- Mute's Signal Jammers can prevent the RCE-RATERO from working if it is caught in their radius, which will also prevent the drone from entering its bulletproof armor state.
- If the Signal Jammer is destroyed, the RCE-RATERO will not resume its timer. Instead, it will immediately enter its bulletproof state and soon explode.
- While the RCE-RATERO is moving and its fuse has not been activated, it can be destroyed by gunfire. It can also be destroyed by touching objects electrified by Bandit's Shock Wires and Kaid's Electroclaws, and devices with lasers such as Maestro's Evil Eyes and Aruni's Surya Gates.
- Nitro Cells and Impact Grenades can destroy the RCE-RATERO, even if it is in its bulletproof armor.
- Mozzie's Pests can hack the RCE-RATERO while it is still moving. Unlike regular drones, it will only harmlessly destroy it rather than letting Mozzie control it, because the detonation sequence is still active.
- Vigil's ERC will render himself invisible to the RCE-RATERO.
- "With a remote-controlled function, this device counter-balances the usual unpredictability of explosives in a, dare I say, refreshing way."
Controlled from a distance, the RCE-Ratero Charge races forward while Flores scouts a location for its blast. Once triggered, the Ratero clutches onto the nearest surface, armors itself with a bulletproof shell, and explodes, destroying nearby gadgets and soft surfaces.
Device: RCE-Ratero Charge
Operator: Specialist Santiago "Flores" Lucero
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen
I don't usually get involved in these evaluations but considering how nervous Lucero was at the idea of a stranger handling his toys, I assured him l'd oversee the process. That being said, I enlisted the help of Specialists Elena “Mira" Álvarez and Shuhrat "Fuze" Kessikbayev, and I'm confident that they'll take good care of the RCE-Ratero. As they worked together, I watched them turn a rudimentary but efficient tool into something worthy of tactical operations. The base function remains, and Lucero will still be able to remotely pilot his favorite device, but as Fuze told me with so much enthusiasm it will now be much more reliable.
As he explained, the new casing is fitted with a mechanism that secures the device when it's armed, protecting it from firearms. Fuze also integrated a fast- acting adhesive that serves to lodge the explosive in place, which Lucero will appreciate. I'm eager to see it in action on the field once he gets the hang of these upgrades.
- - Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen
- Flores is the first confirmed instance of LGBTQ representation in-game.
- His call-sign (Flores) translates to "Flowers" in Spanish.
- Santiago's codename, Flores, originates from the district of Flores, Buenos Aires.
- Flores is known to leave his calling card after each successful heist. The card consists of a large lock symbol with a large red F.
- Flores enjoys cooking. One of his favorite dishes is known as perico, consisting of scrambled eggs and various vegetables such as tomatoes and green onions.