- "There are two things the human body needs in a survival situation: water and hope."
Tsang was raised in Vancouver, British Columbia. When she turned eighteen, Tsang enlisted with the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). She was sent to the Royal Military College of Canada (RMC) as an Officer cadet and graduated top of her class. After completing a bachelor's degree in Science and Mechanical Engineering, she completed her officer training and was stationed at CFB Esquimalt with the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre Victoria (JRCC Victoria). From there she served on the primary Search & Rescue response team covering British Colombia and the Yukon Territory. She was later invited to join Joint Task Force 2 and eventually Rainbow in 2015.
Tsang has been praised for exceptional situational awareness and is valued for her mission planning and threat action. Tsang is an extremely focused individual who meticulously plans out every move she makes. When she sets her eyes on a goal, there is little that can stop her. Tsang is patient and never takes shortcuts. Her SAR training in mountain-climbing, parachuting, diving extends into her recreational time. Drawing on her background in Mechanical Engineering, Tsang helped design and modify the Sterling Mk2 LHT, or "Welcome Mat," who portable design allows for the discreet deployment in a variety of areas and environments.
I confess I find Tina Lin "Frost" Tsang's energy exhausting. Not many adults make me feel like an old man. She rearranged my shelves during our meeting... It does look better. Not that Tsang is nervous. Far from it. It's more akin to a fine-tuned athlete. […]
Field reports highlight Tsang's focus and perseverance. The team trusts her planning, if not necessarily her fastidiousness. Any disagreements don't appear to hinder the team dynamic since Tsang is open to feedback, though I do detect some resentment from her concerning people who might be less patient or who opt for shortcuts. […]
Tsang's mission planning is meticulous and she brings this same careful viewpoint to her everyday life. A good example was when she told me about her parent's recent anniversary party. She described the traditional Chinese banquet and its ten-coarse meal in such detail, I think she could recreate it from memory. […]
Beyond that, it was a challenge finding a subject outside of operations that excites her. Music? Depends on her mood. Books? Not really. Finally, I asked about her hunting tips. Growing up in British Colombia, Tsang developed a respect for Canada's indigenous cultures and urged me to visit Haida Gwaii territory should I visit West Coast Canada. When I asked about the vague note in her medical records regarding a hunting accident, she was reluctant to talk. Her bush plane made an emergency landing in a range called the Nahanni. Bad weather rolled in and then, a week later, help arrived. Her reluctance to offer details and frequent use of "should have" indicate she feels some shame. Rather than push the issue, I introduced her to Specialist Sannaa "Nomad" El Maktoub. Their similar experiences made them instant friends. Both women share a deep connection to the outdoors. It's not simply being outside -- it's the wild that appeals. […]
Tsang's precision-oriented personality is a huge asset, but I'd like her to consider depper introspection. Her ability to self-actualize will be critical if we continue to have her working alongside other strong personalities such as Specialist Taina "Caveira" Pereira.
A Medium Armored Operator, Frost comes equipped with three Sterling MK2 LHTs, nicknamed "Welcome Mats." The Welcome Mats are mechanical traps that can be used to incapacitate enemies.
- The Welcome Mat can be placed in most places on the floor, be it under a window or on the other side of a table, or even against the wall. Some tight spaces may or may not allow the Mat to be placed.
- Each Welcome Mat takes 3 seconds to deploy.
- Welcome Mats will immediately put any Attacker stepping on them into a DBNO state.
- A trapped attacker cannot move or slow down the bleed rate. Attempting to move will only cause the Attacker to thrash around and create noise.
- An Attacker caught in the Trap can only be rescued via manual revive; Zofia's Withstand, Finka's Adrenal Surge, and Doc's Stim Pistol shots all cannot revive a player downed by the Welcome Mat.
- One Welcome Mat can only be triggered once. The Welcome Mat is visibly destroyed after the Attacker caught in the trap dies or is rescued.
- Though the Welcome Mat appears intact when an Attacker is trapped in it, it cannot be destroyed in this state, and the Attacker cannot be rescued by attempting to destroy the mat itself.
- The Welcome Mat can only put an Attacker in a DBNO state, even if that Operator has already been downed before. For example, if an Attacker happens to come across all three Welcome Mats in one game, they will be downed every single time.
- An Attacker moving onto a Welcome Mat while downed will be instantly killed.
- In Terrorist Hunt, AI Terrorists that step into a Welcome Mat will be instantly killed.
- The Welcome Mat is fairly durable, being able to take a number of gunshots before being destroyed.
- For the Welcome Mat to be destroyed it needs all 100 health to be depleted.
- Melee will destroy them in one hit, but is not an advisable approach to destroy them given the nature of this gadget.
- Picking up and resetting a Welcome Mat will reset its "health pool".
- Any Operator that has Barbed Wire can use the wire to conceal Welcome Mats and make it harder for Attacking Operators to notice.
- Frost works well with Bandit and Kaid, as the Welcome Mat is a mechanical gadget, meaning it cannot be destroyed nor affected by any electrified gadget. If an electrified set of Barbed Wire is placed on top of a Mat, any caught Attackers will die quickly.
- Smoke also works well with Frost, as Attackers can easily get caught in a well placed Welcome Mat as they attempt to push through Smoke's gas, eventually succumbing to its toxic effects while they are downed from the trap.
- Lesion is another Defender with a similar playstyle and gadget. If he is able to place his Gu Mine the right distance away from the trap, an incoming Attacker will get caught in the trap, with their leg triggering the Gu Mine, leading to a quick death.
- However, if the Gu Mine is activated first, the Welcome Mat will then down the Attacker and cancel out the poison effects.
- As Frost’s Welcome Mat places enemies in a downed state, Caveira will be able to interrogate them.
- Oryx can perform his dash on an unsuspecting enemy; if they land on a mat, it would instantly down them, allowing for him to quickly kill them.
- Explosives can very easily destroy a Welcome Mat that's within their blast radius, but that depends on if all 100 health is depleted.
- If swinging in from a window or vaulting over a Deployable Shield, an Attacker can quickly shoot a Welcome Mat with enough bullets to destroy it, preventing themselves from being trapped.
- "Uses a mechanical trap to incapacitate enemies."
— Sterling MK2 LHT Description
Equipped with a floor mounted, rubber and metallic spring loaded leg-hold trap, Tina Lin Tsang uses a non-lethal means of immobilizing her prey. The sleek design of the “Welcome Mat” allows for seamless deployment without extensive camouflage. A completely mechanical device that is undetectable by electronic scanners.
Device: Sterling Mk2 LHT "Welcome Mat"
Operator: Tina Lin "Frost" Tsang
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Liu "Lesion" Tze Long with Specialist Tina Lin "Frost" Tsang
In every sense of the word I believe in synergy. Specialist Tsang and I have good synergy during operations, so I was happy to help run the Welcome Mat through some tests. The Sterling Mk2 leg-hold trap (Welcome Mat) is deceptive in its simplicity and everyone knows it serves as only one highlight of Tina's skill as a trapper.
For the tests, we ran a number of strategies under various conditions. A few suggestions for modifications came up and we'd like to explore them further at a later date. The Welcome Mat has a lot going for it, in particular how it can't be detected by scans. But the best results consistently demonstrate that it should be utilized in conjunction with additional defensive measures. Once the mat is in place, my Gu mine can provide the added defense required. Of course, Bandit's (Specialist Dominic Brunsmeier) batteries and Kaid's (Specialist Jalal El Fassi) electric claw also work very well.
- - Lesion
- Her blood type is B+ as seen on one of the pouches on her rig.
- Before Update 3.0, there was a bug that when she was placing her Welcome Mat, she sounded like Buck.
- On Frost's default headgear, the Under Armor logo can be seen.
- One of Frost's pockets is marked with the Chinese character "霜", which translates directly to "Frost".
- Frost's date of birth was originally stated in-game as 1985, however this has since been removed.
- Tina's favorite holiday in her childhood was Halloween, though her mom said that too much candy would result in nightmares.
- As part of a collaboration, Frost is also an Operator in the mobile game Arknights.
- Update 2.0 Patch Notes - Black Ice
- Frost's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- Frost's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section