- "Do you know what an artist and a sniper have in common? Details. Like when a touch of color is out of place. When a shadow does not match with its surroundings. Or when a shape is not where it is supposed to be. The only difference is the stakes. Mine are higher."
Timur "Glaz" Glazkov (Russian: Тимур Глазков) is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Timur "Glaz" Glazkov was born and raised in the seaport city of Vladivostok, Russia on July 2, 1987. It was here that his father worked in the shipping industry and Timur studied art in secondary school. In 2004, the deaths that resulted from the Beslan school hostage crisis inspired him to transfer to the Cadet Corps and pursue a career in the armed forces. Afterwards, he attended the Khabarovsk Military Commanders Training Academy where he developed unparalleled marksmanship. He also regularly participated in cross-border training exercise with China where he gained a strong understanding of Mandarin. After the Academy, he joined the Ground Forces of the Russian Federation and later the Spetsnaz 45th Guards Regiment. Assigned to special ops and VIP protection detail, reports consistently show that Glaz possesses a unique creative approach to problem solving. He is the squad member with the most expertise in long-range scoped weaponry.
While Timur doesn't thrive in large groups, he is engaging and expressive in one-on-one conversations. He has a patient temperament and can be very introspective. His background as an artist, his curiosity, and attention to detail has trained him to be mindful and precise. This trait makes Timur an excellent spotter and sniper.
What stands out about Specialist Timur "Glaz" Glazkov is his wit. It's surprising for someone so intensely focused during operations. He won't share his gallows humor with me because he says a civilian wouldn't understand, and he may be right about that. Still, I find him engaging in our discussions.
Glazkov possesses many traits expected of a highly-trained marksman and field reports demonstrate his knack for improvising in tough situations. His ability to deconstruct complex concepts on the fly likely comes from his artistic sensibilities.
I asked what his influences were when he was studying since Vladivostok was quite remote back then. As Glazkov's father worked in shipping, he had access to plenty of bootleg music and books.
His paintings are vibrant - expressive. They're more than an escape, perhaps a spiritual cleansing or a depiction of how he perceives suffering, but I'm far from a qualified art critic.
He grew up in the Far East, and his exercise at the Academy included cross-border training with China. His knowledge of Mandarin and China's culture should prove useful.
The rest of his upbringing seems typical: Getting into trouble, getting himself out again. Early operational reports are - lets say a tad thin. And while he's clearly self-aware, he's not willing to discuss much with me.
Glazkov is well-respected by his team. His humor and observational skills make him tolerant of personality extremes and he seems to be among the few operators who strategizes well with Vicente "Capitão" Souza. He laughs when Alexsandr "Tachanka" Senaviev tells him it's because he too almost lost an eye.
The mark on his right eye - a scar = is from weapon kick, though his smile leads me to believe that's not the whole story. I've noticed he subconsciously rubs it when he's bothered. It may be nothing, or it may be his "tell," if how he plays poker with the FBI SWAT contingent is anything to go by.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
A Medium Armored Operator, Glaz's unique gadget is an HDS Flip Sight for his OTs-03 marksman rifle. Whilst Aiming Down Sights with it, it also comes with a Thermal Feedback System which can outline long-range marks even through smoke for easier shooting.
- Glaz spawns with the Flip Sight down. Pressing the gadget key will make Glaz flip up the Flip Sight, allowing its effects to apply when aiming down sights on the OTs-03.
- With the Flip Sight on, the OTs-03 has an increased level of zoom when aiming down sights.
- As an additional flip-up sight fitted behind the OTs-03's original sights/optics, the player's original sight reticles are retained when the Flip Sight is on.
- The Flip Sight features a Thermal Feedback System, highlighting any enemy players in sight in bright yellow, even through smoke.
- The Thermal Feedback System is at full strength only when Glaz is standing still. Yellow bars visible on the side of the scope indicate if the Thermal Feedback System is active; when the bars are full, the system is at full strength. When the bars deplete, the system is weakened.
- Any movement will cause the Thermal Feedback System to weaken, reducing the visibility of yellow highlights and the visibility through smoke.
- Continuously turning in one direction for over 90 degrees will cause the Thermal Feedback System to weaken.
- The Thermal Feedback System is deactivated through 2.5 seconds of movement, and fully reactivates if Glaz stands still for around 2.5 seconds.
- The OTs-03 is one of the only weapons capable of destroying the otherwise bulletproof windows on the Presidential Plane, along with Kali's CSRX 300.
- The OTs-03 can penetrate 2 surfaces at once, allows his rifle to pierce through non-reinforced walls (which are made up of two surfaces) with ease.
- Unlike other rifles, the OTs-03 can destroy unreinforced hatches by firing 2-3 shots at them.
- Glaz works well with any Attacker that comes equipped with a Smoke Grenade in their arsenal, allowing a wider range of coverage for Glaz to work with.
- Capitão works especially well with Glaz because his Micro Smoke Grenades cover a much larger area than normal Smoke Grenades.
- "Toggles a magnification sight with sophisticated image sensors outlining long range marks, even through smoke."
— HDS Flip Sight Description
The HDS Flip Sight was developed by the Spetsnaz for Russian snipers to use in tactical situations where the range of targets may vary greatly in a short amount of time.
Device: HDS Flip Sight OTs-03 MARKSMAN rifle
OPerator: Specialist Timur "Glaz" Glazkov
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Sebastien "Buck" Cote
The OTs-03 high-powered sniper weapon of Specialist Glazkov's (Glaz) exceeds all previous Russian designs. I've always been eager to try it. Since I happen to be a marksman in my own right, R&D Director Elena "Mira" Alvarez choose me to test it - under the sharp eye of Glaz. (It's not his starring that unnerves you, it's that he sketches you while he does it...) The single-point cut-rifled barrel is a key reason this weapon is so effective. There's no stress on the barrel and no wobble or drift. So if you still miss it's because you aren't Glaz. Even a precision weapon as good as this isn't much without the HDS Flip Sight. The OTs-03 has an integrated rail for mounting optics with a tandem configuration allowing quick access to the HDS. This thermal detection is a point of pride and contention among operator discussions. This weapon provides faultless technical backup for someone with faultless skill.
- - Buck
- Glaz is a skilled painter. His artworks are expressive and colorful which starkly contrasts his military life.
- Glaz saw action in the 2008 South Ossetia War.
- Glaz (Russian: Глаз) means "eye" in Russian, this coincides with his stealth and marksmanship.
- Glaz's first name, Timur, is a Turkic and Mongolian name meaning "Iron". Combined with the Russian surname Glazkov, or "Eye of", it would combine into a rough English translation, "Eye of Iron."
- As seen in his Operator video, Glaz has a scar on his right eye. However, this does not appear to affect his vision in any way. According to Glaz, it was the result of rifle kickback. As noted by Six, however, he subconsciously rubs the scar when bothered.
- Glaz's headgear consists of a Russian "Chechenka" hat, either a "Kosynka" or a "Multi-wrap" over his face, and a form of active hearing protection similar to MSA Sordins, or Peltor ComTacs.
- Glaz's military apparel consists of a Gorka 4 in SS-Autumn pattern, alongside an SSO/SPOSN Avizent Smersh SVD with a Stetchkin mag pouch attached to it.
- Glaz's birthday, July 2nd, is also Vladivostok's City Day, the foundation day of Glaz's birthplace.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|