César Ruiz Hernández was eleven years old when a bomb destroyed his home, killing his father and sister and severely injuring his mother. With the help of Specialist Azucena Rocío "Amaru" Quispe, César's mother Sofia taught him to observe his surroundings, and to avoid the other boys his age who had been drawn into gang-related affairs. She encouraged him to enroll at the Heroic Naval Military School, where he graduated as a teniente de corbeta. He joined the Naval Infantry, then the Amphibious Commando Battalion, participating extensively in anti-smuggling operations and several high-profile arrests. Becoming a member of the Fuerzas Especiales introduced him to the reality that drugs were no longer the primary source of income for the cartels. He began working with UNESCO and INTERPOL to combat antiquities trafficking, where he gained the attention of Rainbow as a mind with a keen tactical sense and exceptional forward-thinking.
Specialist César "Goyo" Ruiz Hernández is a rare find. His jacket reads like any normal military trajectory, until you notice the devil behind the details. To confirm my theory, during our first meeting I challenged him to a game of chess. I won't mention how few moves it took him to beat me. César himself seemed to think nothing of it.
This humble attitude is at the heart of his character. His mother, Sofia - who protected him from the brunt of the bomb's blast - has cultivated an overtly optimistic worldview. Growing up where he did, when he did, she also instilled in him a cat-and-mouse mindset, to keep him clear of the negative influences that would have been especially tempting to a young fatherless boy with too much time on his hands. She was helped in this by Specialist Azucena Rocío "Amaru" Quispe, whose intermittent presence and strong familial values shored up a gap that Sofia alone couldn't fill. [...] It's clear to me that Quispe, with her inherent attachment to her country and her family history, provided a stabilizing influence during Hernández's undoubtedly troubled adolescence.
Hernández is the kind to think carefully before speaking, a trait which can lead people to underestimate him. He is neither churlish nor aloof, but constantly considering the many angles of the problem set before him. [...] His ability to track and guide his quarry, from determining their route to understanding how they will react to threats, is uncanny. In a prosaic example, he brought Specialist Tina Lin "Frost" Tsang a bottle of apple-flavored soda on the first day of Fall, despite them only having met once before. She was unperturbed, but I could see that Hernández had braced himself for a far less positive outcome.
Specialist Hernández has otherwise become a staple of our briefings, his incisive questions highlighting new tactical considerations or encouraging out-of-the-box thinking from the other members of the team. I must admit, it's refreshing to see what changes a new perspective and an impeccable poker face can bring to an otherwise very self-assured group of individuals.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
Goyo's unique gadget is the Volcán Shield. While appearing like a Deployable Shield from the front, it has a large explosive can concealed on the back. The explosive detonates when fired upon, leaving a carpet of flames, allowing the shields to act as a trap for Attackers who vault over it.
- Goyo has 3 Volcán Shields and deploys them at a slightly faster rate than a normal Deployable Shield.
- The Volcán Shield will detonate and release its incendiary explosives if its explosive pack is damaged by gunfire, explosion, or melee attack from either side.
- The explosives will also detonate if the shield itself is destroyed, be it from explosions, Sledge's Breaching Hammer, or when an Operator stands on top of it. In all three cases, Goyo loses the shield permanently.
- The Shield's explosive can is immune to electricity, allowing Kaid or Bandit to interact with it safely. Twitch's Drones cannot trigger the explosives.
- The explosion deals 34 damage to a 2 armor Operator at close range.
- The fire deals 12 points of damage per tick and inflicts three ticks of damage per second. It lasts around 10 seconds before dissipating. Neither the explosion nor the fire damage any gadgets.
- Kapkan's Entry Denial Devices can be used to automatically provide an explosion that triggers the shield.
- The explosive can provides a surface onto which a Gu Mine can be deployed.
- Any explosives, even a Breach Charge placed on a nearby floor, will destroy Goyo's gadget. On the other hand, the Vulcan shield can help slow down the push after being triggered by a Thermal Breach on rush-prone bomb sites.
- The gadget is vulnerable to attacks through the floor from above or below, sometimes at the Defenders' surprise.
- As defenders tend to avoid damaging the shield, the explosive can serve as a good refuge for Attacker drones.
- "Incendiary bomb that explodes when destroyed, attached to a deployable shield."
— In-game description
Goyo gives a new, dangerous meaning to deception. With him in the field, every deployable shield is a question. Is this a simple obstacle, or could it blow up in your face?
Like the ordinary Deployable Shield, the Volcán Shield provides cover and allows Defenders to block pathways, but Goyo turns up the heat with an attached incendiary bomb. From the front, however, there’s little indication of which it might be. Until someone shoots the bomb to make it explode, the shield continues to be an obstacle for the Attackers.Hopefully, Goyo’s teammates will remember to save that explosion for when an Attacker is standing in front of the shield, or climbing over it.
- Volcán is Spanish for volcano.
- Goyo's codename is based on a nickname for the Mexican Popocatépetl volcano, "Don Goyo".
- Goyo, along with Amaru, were teased during Operation Phantom Sight in Nøkk's Concept Art 5 on the Rainbow Six Siege official site. The background of the concept art shows a blackboard with sketches of a jerry can and a grapple gun, corresponding to Goyo and Amaru's gadgets.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|