- "They said it could not be done. They said it was designed for tanks. They said I could not make it smaller and more accurate. They were wrong."
Marius "Jäger" Streicher (pronounced Yay-ger) is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Marius Streicher was born in Düsseldorf, Germany. He was raised by his uncle who was a mechanic with the Bundespolizei (BPOL) Aviation Group. As a result, Streicher was around engines and motors at an early age. While he demonstrated skills in mechanics, it didn't hold the challenge that he was looking for. Since he had an affinity for complex machinery, his uncle encouraged him to study aeronautical engineering at university, but the strict academic form was an uncomfortable fit for him. So while Streicher's grades were acceptable, he had a tendency toward restless antics. Following his hobby and passion for flying, he spent considerable time around pilots and aircraft.
Private corporations sought him out, but Streicher joined the BPOL-Aviation Group as a helicopter technician because it offered him unique challenges, the opportunity to fly and to serve his country. Almost immediately, Streicher began designing defense weapon systems for BPOL including a ground-based Active Defense System (ADS) prototype. It was this prototype that caught the attention of the GSG 9. A veteran of the GSG 9 anti-piracy ops in the Indian Ocean, he was later recruited to Rainbow.
Streicher is highly creative and curious, with a strong desire to serve. He has a tendency to lack humility. Though he has a remarkable affinity for complex machinery, he is not adept at reading social cues. Coupled with his boisterous tendencies he can be a bit abrasive.
Specialist Marius "Jäger" Streicher has a creative curiosity that's reflected both in his operations and his daily life. The first part of our conversation was spent discussing a documentary that he watched the night before, about scientists searching for new antibiotics. Streicher was so caught up in it that he sent the link to Specialists Gustave "Doc" Kateb, Emmanuelle "Twitch" Pichon, and Lera "Finka" Melnikova. I'm sure they were all equally interested, if maybe not thrilled to be contacted so early in the morning.
That was only the start of our conversation. Streicher discussed other documentaries that he found fascinating: NASA sending a probe to the sun, new discoveries about Tyrannosaurus Rex, really anything to feed his voracious appetite for information on any subject. Robotics and artificial intelligence are the topics he seeks out the most but he enjoys almost anything. […]
Streicher's lively energy made for a dizzying meeting. Though the conversation wasn't erratic, it had a path, I admit I wasn't able to see it until I noticed that he often mentions the team: Wondering if so-and-so is doing alright after the loss of their dog if another one received the birthday card he sent and other references. Streicher enjoys sharing information so that he can make a connection. Not just his connection with individuals, but a web of connections among everyone. […]
His own upbringing wasn't particularly lively or warm and the small family meant that he had very little company his age. He told me that his uncle was a fussy man - nitpicky. Streicher appreciates his uncle and all that he taught him, going so far as to say that his uncle made him a better person. But Streicher did also say that his uncle was closed off and had no sense of humor. I believe the translation is "grouchy bean counter." Understanding this background shines some light on why Streicher is so eager to create these connections with his team. He sees them as family. It certainly explains how intensely protective he is of them either on operations or during downtime.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
A Medium Armored Operator, Jäger's unique gadget is the ADS-MKIV "Magpie", which can intercept live grenades before they detonate.
- The ADS can be placed on either walls or floors.
- Each ADS can intercept up to two projectiles before shutting off.
- The ADS only intercepts projectiles that are in their detection range while also having a direct line of sight to them.
- There is no delay between interceptions, meaning that one ADS can simultaneously intercept two projectiles.
- Multiple ADSs covering the same area will not be simultaneously triggered by the same projectile.
- After an ADS shuts off, the ADS will remain in place, but they will no longer flash red, signaling that they are no longer active for the remainder of the round.
- The following attacker projectiles can be intercepted by the ADS:
- Frag Grenades
- Stun Grenades
- Smoke Grenades
- Thatcher's EMP Grenades.
- Ash's Breaching Rounds.
- The sub grenades from Fuze's Cluster Charges (each Cluster Charge deploys five grenades, using one Cluster Charge can clear out every ADS except for a single one, if the ADS were poorly set up, that is.)
- Ying's Candela Grenades if it was thrown, as well as the individual Flash Charges from it if detonated.
- Zofia's Impact Grenades and Concussion Grenades.
- Nomad's Airjabs.
- Zero's ARGUS Cams.
- Wamai can help maximize protection from similar devices that Active Defense Systems destroy.
- As an electronic gadget, the Active Defense Systems are susceptible to the same weaknesses as other gadgets of its type.
- In some cases, sacrificing a couple of projectiles such as stun grenades can be done to use up an Active Defense System, allowing for more important gadgets, like Fuze's Cluster Charge or Zofia's Impact and Stun Grenades, to activate unimpeded.
- "Uses an Active Defense system to intercept grenades before they detonate."
— ADS-MKIV "Magpie" Description
Active defense systems have been successfully used on ships and tanks for the last decade to destroy incoming explosive projectiles. Typically weighing over a hundred kilograms, such systems have been unusable by troops who need systems that are portable or suited for rapid deployment. Using the most advanced military-grade components and material available, the "Magpie" blends the best miniaturization, defense, and engineering technology.
Device: ADS-MKIV "Magpie" Automated Defense System
Operator: Specialist Marius "Jäger" Streicher
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Marius "Jäger" Streicher
Mira tasked me with the evaluation of my ADS-MKIV "Magpie." Spending hours in a test lab sounds like my type of vacation - no joke. I'm always on the look-out for where things can be improved. For reference, I have attached the field test data for comparison. Data-Data-Data!
Before we get to that, let's explore the importance of studying defensive strategies alongside breaching techniques throughout history, as well as the evolution of tech -
(Comment_E. Alvarez: References on defensive strategy, historical analysis of strategies, historical documentaries, list of favorite books have all been archived. *Marius, the details are interesting (and I agree with some of your favorite movie picks) but please keep this file focused on the tech results. Mira.)
Now that those references help explain my tactical approach, we can better understand these tech results (attached). To sum up: The Magpie is operating at optimal performance. My gear and my operator strategy will - as Pulse says - "continue to cause many salty tears" for our opponents.
- - Jäger
- Jäger means "Hunter" in German.
- During the Closed Beta, Jäger had a 52% win rating on the defending side.
- The line "I'm an engineer, not a medic!" is a reversal of the Star Trek catchphrase "I'm a doctor, not a...", originally used by Dr. McCoy.
- Jäger attended the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and earned a Bachelor of Science and Aerospace Engineering.
- Jäger apparently was the mechanic who restored the Supermarine Spitfires on the Hereford map, as indicated by a plaque in front of each of them.
- When a Jäger ADS is placed in a room near one of Wamai's Magnets, the ADS will destroy an incoming projectile before the Magnet can attract it.
- Jäger's helmet is a pilot helmet.
- Jäger's date of birth was originally stated in-game as 1978, however this has since been removed.
- Jäger's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- Jäger's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section