- "Lead by example and the mountain will move."
Jalal El Fassi (Arabic: جلال الفاسي), codenamed Kaid (pronounced "Kah-ed"), is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. He was introduced in the Operation Wind Bastion expansion alongside Nomad.
Jalal El Fassi was raised on stories of the Fortress, the legendary training facility in the Atlas Mountains. Its incomparable reputation, along with its famed "Kaids" (Commander) were seared into El Fassi.
He joined the GIGR (Royal Moroccan Gendarmerie) at 18, demonstrating natural leadership skills under fire. His ability to effectively command specialized squadrons in joint Trans-Saharan Counterterrorism Initiative (TSCTP) operations led to his promotion as Captain. After years of service, the Fortress' reigning Commander chose his successor: El Fassi, whose authoritative but ethical style made him a worthy "Kaid".
His imposing presence and strict values led to success with his graduates, and the Fortress quickly gained accolades. He further proved its excellence through the thousands of soldiers who trained or taught on its grounds. Over years of negotiating, he welcomed troops from across Africa and the Middle East, fostering stronger ties between TSCTP members and African Standby Force countries.
Specialist Jalal "Kaid" El Fassi is an imposing Operator. His appearance alone inspires respect – it's easy to see why his stature and demeanor strike fear in his students. Or how his body language warrants their respect and cooperation without him having to say a word. Frankly, it's both daunting and fascinating at the same time.
Specialist El Fassi descends from a long line of Commanders and their Fortress. The Fortress was in disrepute for quite some time, however – some business involving bribes from wealthy families – before El Fassi was at the helm. And it seems his administration not only eliminated these sordid dealings, but elevated the Fortress to heights unimagined by any of his predecessors.
It's been difficult separating Specialist El Fassi from his role. He's sacrificed a personal life for the success of his Fortress, and his role makes it difficult to create interpersonal relationships. I suspect he prefers being alone—he certainly isn't the type to open up and share, but I think I understand why. He's taken it upon himself to guide and nurture the future of Moroccan Special Forces, and potentially all of North Africa. He is the rock that all others look up to, so Specialist El Fassi shoulders the brunt of that weight with equanimity because he believes nobody else can.
Specialist El Fassi is particularly phlegmatic, and his dedication to his duty as Commander and to the Fortress is resolute. Rainbow spent years trying to persuade him to join, but he is not easily moved. The Fortress and its legacy were instilled in him as a child. It is his home, his castle, and I can see the time he spends there in solitude is invaluable. But we finally managed to cut a deal with him, one that not even the great Kaid could turn down… one to improve his school and propel it into international standing. This will be the first time El Fassi is among equals. Only time will tell how he reacts to not being in a position of authority.
A Heavy Armored Operator, Kaid is equipped with two throwable "Rtila" Electroclaws that can be thrown onto any surface it can attach to, electrifying metal objects within a certain radius of the gadget.
- Kaid deploys the Electroclaws by throwing them and letting them attach to surfaces.
- After an Electroclaw is deployed and attaches to a surface, it will take four seconds to charge up, displaying its electrifying radius in the progress. After the charge up ends, all metallic gadgets within an Electroclaw's electrifying radius are shocked.
- Gadgets shocked by Electroclaws behave identically to gadgets shocked by Bandit's Shock Wires. For a comprehensive list of effects, see Bandit#Gameplay Description.
- The only difference between objects shocked by Electroclaws and objects shocked by Shock Wires is that the former show more brightly than those electrified by Bandit as there are more electrical arcs present.
- The effective radius does go through surfaces, meaning that the Electroclaw is able to electrify metal objects on the other side of a wall, as long as the Electroclaw's effective radius touches them.
- The Electroclaws are shock-proof electronic gadgets, and can thus be:
- Kaid and Bandit can work together to maximize protection of a room with their electrifying devices. As a result, they have similar roles.
- Just like with Bandit's Shock Wires, Echo's Yokai Drone is able to pass through electrified surfaces/objects without a problem. Meaning he will work with Kaid as well as he would with Bandit.
- Similarly, drones hijacked by Mozzie will not be destroyed by electrified gadgets, allowing them to traverse safely through electrified barbed wire or near electrified reinforcements and shields. However, electrified surfaces can still destroy Mozzie's Pests, as well as drones yet to be hacked.
- Mira can safely place her Black Mirrors on electrified Reinforced Walls.
- Mute's Signal Disruptors can work together with electrified objects in stopping or destroying Attacking gadgets during the game, especially against Drones during and after the Preparation Phase or Breach Charges during the Action Phase. However, because the Electroclaw will electrify all metal surfaces in its radius, it is more likely to destroy carelessly placed Disruptors.
- Attackers caught in one of Frost's Welcome Mats can also be killed by an electrified gadget if it was over it.
- As it is still an electronic gadget, the Electroclaw is susceptible to the same disadvantages as other gadgets of its type.
- Thatcher's EMP Grenades will disable any Electroclaw within their explosive radius for 10 seconds.
- Twitch is able to destroy the Electroclaws with her Shock Drone. However, if it comes into contact with a metal object electrified by an Electroclaw, the Drone will be destroyed instantly.
- Compared to Bandit's Batteries, Electroclaws are easier to hide from Twitch's drones.
- Any Electroclaw will show up on IQ's Electronics Scanner.
- As the Electroclaws have a delay before they come into effect, Kaid is not able to destroy one of Thermite's Exothermic Charges if deployed as the Charge is activated.
- Kali's LV Lances can destroy Kaid's Electroclaws even through a Reinforced Wall.
"Rtila" Electroclaw x 2
- "Electrifies reinforced walls and hatches, barbed wire, and deployable shields in its affected area."
— In-game description
Kaid's "Rtila" Electroclaw can electrify reinforced walls and hatches, barbed wire, and deployable shields, making it tougher for the enemy to breach the Kasbah and any facility he’s tasked with protecting. He enters the field with two of these throwable gadgets. Once they’ve attached themselves to a surface, they each electrify metallic objects within a 0.75 meter radius.
Specialist El Fassi is something of an enigma, with his character, his beliefs - and this pours over, even onto his gadget. He is a 'traditionalist' in a sense, so he can be dismissive of Rainbow's more technologically-inclined Operators and their devices. It would also explain his close relationship with Specialist Baker, both of whom share not only their many years of experience but a wariness of relying on tech.
The "Rtila" namesake comes from El Fassi's love for those particular spiders found throughout the Moroccan mountains. Their primitive and agile nature fascinates him, so these elements have been included in his Electroclaw. He is curious to see how many of Rainbow's members would perform or adapt without the high-tech aid. But when it comes down to it, El Fassi's device is much more sophisticated than the literally 'crude' CED-1. He somehow managed to take a resonant transformer and reduce it down into a beautiful compact package. Cedrick and I would have had fun with this if we had it back then.
- - Specialist Dominic "Bandit" Brunsmeler
- "Rtila" (رتيلا) in Moroccan Arabic means "Spider." This may refer to the Galeodes arabs.
- "Kaid" (قائد) in Arabic means "leader" or "commander."
- The map "Fortress" has a portrait of Kaid in a hallway.
- Both Kaid and Oryx are the tallest current operators in Rainbow, both being 6'5" (1.95m), while Amaru is the tallest female operator at 6'2 (1.89m)