- "Acceptance of mediocrity is the first step toward failure."
Jaimini Kalimohan Shah (Hindi: जैमिनी कलिमोहन शाह), codenamed Kali, is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. She was introduced in the Operation Shifting Tides expansion alongside Wamai. She is the founder and leader of Nighthaven.
Born to wealthy parents, Shah's ability to achieve her goals was assured from an early age. This self-assurance hit a brick wall when she tried to join the military. Her interest in martial arts led her to enlist, but she quickly discovered that women weren't allowed to serve in combat units. Despite all of her money and all of her social influence, she had found an obstacle between her and something she wanted, and it would not budge. Leaving the military, she created her own Private Security Company to operate within India's borders, then a Private Military Company, NIGHTHAVEN, to operate overseas. Her company's success can be largely credited to the inventions of Anja "Osa" Janković who Kali made the head of NIGHTHAVEN's R&D division, Quantum Concepts & Robotics.
She routinely negotiates multi-million-dollar contracts with incredibly favorable terms. Her ruthlessness is legendary, but by becoming a resource the Indian government desperately needs she has circumvented the laws that kept her from her goal and revalidated her self-perception as an unstoppable force in a largely static world.
In 2019, Harry Pandey invited Shah and Ngũgĩ "Wamai" Furaha, and by extension, NIGHTHAVEN, to join Rainbow. Officially, this was done in response to NIGHTHAVEN answering a distress call on the super tanker Argus. Pirates attacked the ship and threatened to kill everyone onboard should they not receive command of the ship. NIGHTHAVEN was able to successfully neutralize the pirates without incident. Secretly, the real reason Pandey had invited Shah and Furaha was to prevent an opposing organization from hiring NIGHTHAVEN and to keep a close eye on them. Despite Rainbow's efforts, Kali refused to allow them to evaluate Osa's inventions and had lawyers issue cease and desist letters to enforce this.
As part of a joint UN operation in Somalia between NIGHTHAVEN and the Forsvarets Spesialkommando, Shah's life was saved by Håvard "Ace" Haugland. The offer to join NIGHTHAVEN swiftly followed. In late 2020, Shah traveled to Bangkok, Thailand and approached Apha "Aruni" Tawanroong with an offer to join NIGHTHAVEN. Aruni accepted Shah's offer due to the prospect of gaining access to cutting-edge prosthetics as well as donating her pay to charities.
In late 2020, Shah was placed on Team Ash by Harry for the upcoming Six Invitational. According to Harry, this was done to improve her teamwork with Eliza "Ash" Cohen who resented Shah's place in Rainbow and frequently argued she and NIGHTHAVEN were a threat to the entire organization. Ash attempted to trade Shah with Chul Kyung "Vigil" Hwa but this was quickly shot down by Harry. A few months later, Team Ash faced off against Team Mira as the attacking team in the first match of the Six Invitational. With time running out, Cohen and Shah argued about sending Lera "Finka" Melnikova to either flank the other team or go in for a direct assault to distract them. Finka proceeded to flank but was downed by a nitro cell, resulting in Team Ash losing the match. As a result, Shah directed her anger towards Ash, stating she was unsurprised that they lost.
Shah later invited Shuhrat "Fuze" Kessikbayev to join her and the other members of NIGHTHAVEN for a training session at the Stadium kill house. At the end of the session, Shah asked Fuze why he hesitated in firing. Fuze explained that Aruni was in his line of fire. Shah informed him that it was NIGHTHAVEN's policy to "play hard and take risks" and that friendly fire did not matter as no lives were on the line in the area. Soon after, a NIGHTHAVEN Osprey landed in the arena to deliver a piece of equipment to Shah. Fuze requested to tag along with them to see the equipment, which Shah agreed to. While the equipment was offloaded from the Osprey, Fuze asked Shah if it was a problem that each of NIGHTHAVEN's members were on different teams for the Invitational. Shah stated that it wasn't as any accolade earned by a member of NIGHTHAVEN would make their organization more exclusive and allow them to demand higher rates for contracts.
Once inside the Stadium, Shah presented the Masterframe Prototype I to Fuze and the other members of NIGHTHAVEN. Shah explained that it was rated to absorb or deflect most conventional high-caliber rounds. She also stated that it was light weight, increased reaction time, reduced muscle strain, and was sealed against the majority of biological and chemical weapons. Fuze asked Shah if the equipment was Rainbow compliant and was told that it was, "more or less". Fuze reminded Shah that she was supposed to wear her uniform for the Six Invitational. Shah dismissed Fuze's comment, saying that the Masterframe would be her uniform and that it was only the beginning. Shah then told Fuze that her people always had the best equipment and that he knew where to find her if he was looking for a career shift to join NIGHTHAVEN.
Team Ash later faced Team Vigil for their second match of the tournament. While Team Ash had eliminated everyone except Vigil, Vigil obtained the upper hand and eliminated all of Team Ash except for Thermite. Despite this, Thermite's exothermic charge eliminated Vigil, winning the match for Team Ash. For the third match, Team Ash faced off against Team Capitao. With Dokkaebi pinned down by Tachanka, Shah eliminated him with a hidden claymore that she had not informed Ash about. Ash praised Shah's efforts but reminded her to keep the team in the loop next time.
Shah donned the Masterframe Prototype I for the final match of the Six Invitational against Team Mira. During the match, Shah provided sniper support from the building's exterior while the rest of her team breached. Ash and Dokkaebi were later pinned down from fire by the remaining Defenders, prompting Ash to request Shah to provide cover fire. Shah ignored Ash's request, removing her earpiece and engaging the other by herself. The confusion granted Ash an opportunity to dispatch a distracted Max "Mozzie" Goose. A few seconds later, however, Shah surprised Ash by emerging from a window and appearing to aim her rifle at her. Using Ash as bait, Shah then fired next to Cohen, eliminating Mira and winning the match. Unfortunately, the close-range shot grazed Ash's ear, causing her to fall to the ground in shock.
After their team had been crowned the champions of the tournament, Shah celebrated with her team in the locker room. Enraged at Shah's actions, Ash confronted her. Shah was pushed by Ash who angrily told her that it was not okay to have used her own teammates as bait. Shah stated that it did not matter as it was only a game and that she had just won it for them. Furious, Ash punched Shah square in the face. Bleeding, Shah attempted to retaliate but both women were pulled apart and held back by their fellow operatives.
The "Big Plan"
Months later, Kali convinced Harry Pandey to recruit Anja Katarina "Osa" Janković into Rainbow as a team leader. This was part of a bigger plan which was only known by Kali, Janković, and a few others. Part of this plan involved making Rainbow feel at home by allowing several of their operatives to visit Nighthaven's R&D facility to test out their equipment. She later sent a message to Osa and told her she was needed in Greece as they were "moving forward" with their plan.
At the Six Invitational 2022, Kali was made the captain of her own team. Aside from her own Nighthaven operatives, Kali led Ela Bosak, James "Smoke" Porter, Jack "Pulse" Estrada, Monica "IQ" Weiss, and Lera "Finka" Melnikova. During her interview with Sam "Zero" Fisher, Kali told him she felt her role as a team captain was a well-deserved because of how she led her team to victory the year before. She went on to tell him that she had every intention for her team to win the Invitational.
At the event's conclusion, Kali succeeded in recruiting every person on her team into Nighthaven. She was then driven away from the Stadium by Smoke and was accompanied by Ela. As Ela was questioning her decision to leave and the loyalty she had towards Rainbow and her sister. Kali told her to ask herself "who's been loyal to you".
Cultural similarity isn't always a benefit when undertaking psychoanalysis. […] Despite our shared heritage, Specialist Jaimini Kalimohan "Kali" Shah's experiences are as alien to me as if she had come from the dark side of the moon. Contrary to what the romantics of this world would have you believe, money does create a boundary that can't be crossed by any other means.
As a child, Shah received everything she wanted, without effort or attention. She is both ambitious and arrogant, but not without merit. She excels as a leader, primarily by driving those under her command beyond their psychological and physical breaking points to "forge them anew." The fact that those who complete her training are then inducted into an inner circle – a society of protectors, as she's apt to call it – does little to separate her from notorious criminal overlords. And yet if I am consistent in believing that everyone has something to teach, I can't discount her methods.
Does Shah have any sense of nationalistic pride? It's difficult to say. To the ultra-rich, borders are merely suggestions. Yet her assumption of the name Kali and her ruthlessness toward those who cross her both imply a connection with the country of her ancestors. […] I suspect this lack of clarity with regards to her motivations is what has already put her at odds with Specialist Eliza "Ash" Cohen, but that was to be expected. Cohen is someone who lives by a very strict set of rules, and Shah's very existence calls many of Cohen's beliefs into question. […]
As for her strengths, they are many. She didn't get to where she is by cruising on her family's success. Her training regimen is relentless, augmented by the best trainers and the best equipment money can buy. She is brave – some would say foolhardy – and she is cunning. Put simply, she's someone I would be loath to face off against, so it seemed prudent to invite her to join Rainbow. Friends and enemies being what they are, we may have need of her particular strategies far sooner than we would like to admit.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
A Medium Health Operator, Kali is equipped with the CSRX 300 rifle, a powerful bolt-action sniper rifle which can pierce through multiple breakable walls, and destroy wooden barricades within a single shot. It can down an enemy with one shot to the chest or can kill them instantly with a headshot. The CSRX 300 comes equipped with interchangable sights that are labled 5x and 12x in-game.
The rifle is also equipped with an under-barrel launcher that fires LV Explosive Lances. These burrow into walls, even indestructible walls, pushing an explosive charge through the wall to the other side, and create an explosion on both sides of the wall. The explosion causes minimal damage to Defenders but will destroy any gadgets in the vicinity, making it useful for lowering defenses.
- The underbarrel launcher holds one LV Lance at a time. A new one is loaded after Kali fires an LV Lance.
- When fired at a wall, the LV Lance will burrow itself into the wall, and push an explosive charge to the other side.
- The burrowing process takes 3 seconds to complete.
- The LV Lances have a projectile size, unlike Ash's Breaching Rounds.
- The LV Lances do not have a projectile arc, meaning they can travel in a straight line forever.
- When burrowing, the Lance will create small particle effects showing the surface being drilled through, and produce cracks on the surface surrounding it.
- When burrowing, explosive Lances can be destroyed with gunfire. In the case of a reinforced wall, the Lance can only be damaged at its tail-end base, not its burrowing tip.
- It is able to burrow into unbreachable surfaces (will not explode on the other side of the wall), and will still detonate if it bounces off a surface it cannot burrow into.
- The LV Lance is electric-proof and will not be destroyed by reinforced walls or barbed wires charged by Bandit's Shock Wires or Kaid's Electroclaws.
- After the burrowing is complete, the LV Lance explodes, creating an explosion on both sides of the wall it burrowed through.
- The explosive on both sides are equal in size, being 3 meters in radius.
- The explosive damage drops off as distance increases, and gadgets like Frost's Welcome Mats will survive the explosion if they are further away from the Lance.
- If burrowed on a destructible wall, the LV Lance leaves behind a small hole on the wall from the explosion. However, if it burrows through a Reinforced Wall the hole it would leave behind appears be sealed back up and cannot be shot through on both sides.
- LV Lances will destroy friendly gadgets.
- LV Lances can also be destroyed by Impact Grenades or Nitro Cells .
- Gadgets that can be destroyed by the LV Lances include:
- Mute's Signal Disruptors
- Castle's Armored Panels
- Kapkan's Entry Denial Devices
- Bandit's Shock Wires
- Jäger's Active Defense System, if not destroyed when deployed
- Valkyrie's Black Eye Cameras
- Echo's Yokai Drones
- Lesion's Gu Mines
- Ela's Grzmot Mines
- Alibi's Prismas
- Maestro's Evil Eyes
- Kaid's Electroclaws
- Mozzie's Pests and Drones hacked by Mozzie
- Goyo's Volcán Shields
- Melusi's Banshees
- Barbed Wire
- Proximity Alarms
- Bulletproof Cameras
- Deployable Shields
- Mira's Black Mirrors cannot be destroyed by LV Lances.
- Clash's CCE Shield can be knocked aside by LV Lances, but not destroyed.
- Kali works best with Operators such as Thermite, Ace, and Hibana whose gadgets are specialized in opening up holes in Reinforced Walls. Kali is capable of destroying gadgets on the other side with ease, allowing Thermite or Hibana to use their gadgets without getting them destroyed.
- LV Lances can be intercepted by both Jäger's Active Defense Systems and Wamai's Mag-NETs.
- Rook's Armor Plates will make Kali's primary weapon less effective as any Operator wearing Armor Plates will require a minimum of 2 shots to down/kill.
- "Under-barrel mechanical projectile that explodes within a set radius to destroy gadgets on both sides of breakable and reinforced surfaces."
— In-game Description
To talk about the LV Explosive Lance, we need to mention Kali's CSRX 300. It"s a dangerous weapon that can breach barricades and hatches in a single shot, and create big holes in breakable walls. The LV is its under-barrel, and it can be used at the same time as the CSRX 300's scopes.
The LV is not your typical explosive. Just like the rifle, it can breach barricades and hatches, but it can also destroy Castle's Armor Panels. These are not its main functions, however. Its role is to destroy gadgets with a light explosion within a set radius. When used on a breakable wall, it will create a hole slightly smaller than what the sniper rifle would do. When shot at a reinforced wall, however, it simply lodges in the surface. In either case, it destroys all gadgets on both sides of breakable and reinforced surfaces. This makes it especially effective when played in tandem with a hard breach Operator like Thermite or Hibana. Keep in mind that the LV Explosive Lance has three charges and is resistant to gadgets like Bandit and Kaid's electrics, as well as Mute's Signal Disruptors.
Device: Low Velocity (LV) Explosive Lance
Operator: Specialist Jaimini Kalimohan "Kali" Shah
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Mike "Thatcher" Baker
Finally, another honest piece of hardware makes its way into my hands. Figures we had to go to the other side of the world to find it.
(Comment_E. Álvarez: Edited for length. Mira.)
Jaimini had to disable the biometrics before I could use the damn thing, but this LV-whatever-you-want is a beauty. The internal workings involve both percussive force and forward assist, which keep the shaft in place once it's embedded. The fuze leads to micro-explosives at the base and head of the round - HMTA at a guess.
(Comment_Dr. H. Pandey: I checked with Kali. There's nothing dangerous in her proprietary compound.)
(Comment_E. Álvarez: I'll run my own tests, to make sure. I'll need her bacteriorhodopsin configuration, too. Mira.)
(Comment_Dr. H. Pandey: Her lawyers called. Please leave this part of the investigation aside for now.)
It's a neat little package that the IDF would love to get their hands on, if they weren't involved in its development. The explosion doesn't breach reinforcements, but it's got range. I'll be hard-pressed to beat it for utility, but beat it I shall.
- Kali is named after the Hindu goddess of time, creation, destruction, and power.
- Ash strongly opposed Kali and Wamai's recruitment into Rainbow, telling Six he was "making a mistake".
- Ace once saved her life during a joint UN operation in Somalia. She swiftly offered him a position within NIGHTHAVEN which he accepted.
- In addition to their multiple disagreements, Kali's actions and behavior during the Six Invitational 2021's Final Match led to actual hostility between her and Ash, with the later going as far as to punch Kali in the face, resulting in a disastrous altercation involving multiple Rainbow Operatives.