- "People died, and I hope I can find forgiveness for it, but what I did I did to save more lives. I’d do it again. That’s doing my job."
Olivier was born to a conservative, well-to-do family. His parents and older sister, Sophie, were in medicine and devout Catholics, but he bucked against their accomplishments and their faith. He was smart and arrogant, but he believed rebellion was a better use of his intellect. It was fun to act against expectation, to drink and party... at least it was until he got his girlfriend, Claire, pregnant.
He tried to convince Claire to get an abortion, but she refused. Once his parents found out about the pregnancy, they kicked him out of the house; it was the last straw in a string of bad behavior. Depressed, Olivier went on a drug and alcohol-fueled bender, getting trashed enough to land in the hospital. That was his wake-up call. He was 18 and nearly homeless, so he joined the French Army out of desperation. He needed purpose.
Military life was hard but rewarding. Olivier took solace in purpose and struggled to break old habits. He started sending money to Claire to support their newborn son even though she did not want to see Olivier. He became a second-level in-combat rescuer, and joined the 2nd Dragoon Regiment in their role as a CBRN reaction force. He also developed a close relationship with the regiment’s Catholic Chaplain, Bertrand, who eventually spoke to Claire and convinced her that Olivier regretted his actions. He arranged a reunion for them.
It was a hard moment for Olivier. He met his son, Alexis, the child he wanted aborted, and the reality of his decision hit him hard. He had been selfish, pushing his girlfriend to do something because it inconvenienced him. More so, Claire was about to get married and Alexis was already calling someone else 'daddy'. Everything he had done, putting his loved ones through hell, shoved him into a wild depression that almost cost him his rank. Chaplain Bertrand helped Olivier through his crisis and with it, he returned to the Catholic Church.
Olivier swore he would do everything possible to rectify the pain he had caused, so he worked harder, and sought more challenges. He qualified to join the Groupe d’intervention de la Gendarmerie nationale (GIGN) as their new biohazard expert, using drones to maintain and hold quarantine perimeters. He focused on his duty, on making things right, no matter how much it hurt him in the process. His feelings were irrelevant; what mattered was strict observation of his duty. During a Yellow Fever outbreak in Sudan, while protecting a field investigation team, his loud voice scared a frightened mob back and he gained the nickname "Lion" from the locals.
In 2015, the army asked him to lead the 2nd Dragoons to West Africa to assist medical personnel fighting the Ebola epidemic. Tragedy ensued, and the decisions Olivier made for safety reasons put him at odds with Doc, who blamed him for the death of several medical personnel on-site including Doc's colleague. The tension between the two continues to this day in Team Rainbow.
After studying his jacket, Finka recommended Olivier for Rainbow as a CBRN specialist, and Six agreed. Olivier immediately proved his value when Finka and he uncovered the source of the mysterious mist that came ashore in Sussex and poisoned people, though he claims he shares that success with Twitch, who provided him with the new aerial drone to locate the mist plume.
Olivier has managed to stay in his son’s life, but it is an awkward relationship. Alexis does not know how to call him father and Olivier is not sure what it means to be a dad in the day-to-day. He has mended bridges with his parents and sister, his return to the Catholic faith healing those wounds, and while his decision to be a soldier bothers them, he is no longer the thoughtless rebel. He is not a soldier to make life easy on his soul. He bears the weight of responsibility for what he has done even though Bertrand constantly reminds him that forgiveness is in the heart of God.
Lion is a by-the-books Operator because he doesn't trust his civilian instincts. Rules give him structure and allow him to control what he considers the pettier parts of his personality. They give him a safety net when conscience or arrogance could otherwise weaken his resolve and hurt more lives. He bears the weight of responsibility for what he has done and pushes himself to the limits as a form of coporeal punishment. Unfortunately, Lion is arrogant and has rubbed some people within GIGN and Rainbow the wrong way. Doc thinks he lacks the empathy necessary to help in medical crises while Lion thinks Doc's humanitarianism is a liability. Twitch is not happy about being caught in the middle of that fight. Lion's closest friend in GIGN is Montagne, but when Thatcher punched Olivier after he said the wrong thing during a training exercise, Lion almost brought the GIGN and SAS to blows.
A Medium Armored Operator, Lion comes with his EE-ONE-D, which flies up above the map to scan for enemy movement at his command. If a Defender moves their footing, the drone will detect that movement and paint them in a red outline for Attackers to see, even through walls.
- Lion's presence causes EE-ONE-D drones to appear in the airspace around the map. They cannot be destroyed.
- Lion can activate his EE-ONE-D's sonar ability two times per round.
- The EE-ONE-D drone gives a three-second warning to both Attackers and Defenders before it starts scanning.
- The scanning process that comes after the warning phase lasts five seconds. Any Defenders who move during this phase will be marked with a red outline, visible by all Attackers, even through walls and through Drones/cameras. A marked defender can be unmarked for the duration of the scanning if they stop moving afterwards.
- The EE-ONE-D has a cooldown of 20 seconds between activations.
- The Drone will only detect the movements of Defenders who moves from their position. Turning, changing stances or using any gadget or weapon will not cause a Defender to be spotted.
- However, vertical movement, such as breaking a hatch and falling through it, does get scanned by the Drone.
- Tachanka won't be counted as "moving" when he swivels on his turret.
- Lion works well with other Operators who are suited to either clearing out a room and/or discourage Roaming Defenders, one way or another.
- Fuze's Cluster Charges as he is able to force Defenders to flee from the room he is clearing, thus allow Lion to track them.
- Jackal performs as a great partner in the anti-roamer game, as one device give Defenders the incentive to move around so that their current location won't be found, while the other incentives them to stay still not to be tracked in a red outline.
- Using the Dokkaebi's Logic Bomb just right after EE-ONE-D will stop scanning or vice versa may stop defender from any movement for at least 10 seconds. However, it is not recommended to use these gadgets at same time.
- Exothermic Operators, such as Thermite and Hibana, can work well Lion as the timed nature of their explosives work into the latter's benefit, forcing Defenders to choose whether to prevent a surface from being blown up or maintain their cover from the EE-ONE-D.
- Lion also works well with Anti-Electronic Operators, such as Thatcher and Twitch, as they can destroy Signal Disruptors from a distance, as they interfere with the EE-ONE-D's functions.
- Being within range of one of Mute's Signal Disruptors will disrupt the EE-ONE-D's scan for anyone within their Area of Effect.
- If Lion is within the range of a Signal Disruptor, he will be unable to activate his drone.
- Vigil has a special interaction with Lion. While he is not able to deny being detected by the EE-ONE-D, Drones will not be able to see him when his ERC-7 is active, even if he has been detected.
EE-ONE-D x 3
- "The EE-ONE-D detects enemy movement, providing an overview of the battlefield."
— EE-ONE-D Description
EE-ONE-D allows Lion to survey hot zones and maintain quarantine protocols on missions. He uses it to detect movement in an area in order to determine if someone is breaking quarantine, curfew, or a perimeter.
- Lion and Finka's codenames were first revealed on February 1st, 2018.
- In his spare time, Lion spends most of it either at church, volunteering when he can, or at his apartment, reading and staying out of trouble while listening to the angry albums of his teenage years.
- Although the EE-ONE-D is visible on every map, mostly situated in the middle of the sky, it is indestructible, thus cannot be actively interacted with.
- When activated, the EE-ONE-D will emit vibrating pulses to represent that it is actively detecting movements.
- When activating the EE-ONE-D, Lion's wrist-mounted display displays the coordinates 45°30'N, 73°35'W, which is where Ubisoft Montreal is located.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|