- "Iconic LMG, accurate in medium range with high ammo capacity and efficient suppressive fire."
— In-game description
The M249 (or M249 SAW) is a light machine gun featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, introduced in the Operation Skull Rain expansion. It is available for use by the Attack Recruits, Capitão, and Gridlock.
The M249 has a rather mediocre fire rate of 650, but it makes up for it with its high damage, controllable recoil and great accuracy. The M249 has a high magazine capacity, while the M249 SAW has slightly less capacity, but is able to reload much faster as a result of being magazine fed.
- High damage per shot
- High magazine capacity
- Low vertical recoil
- Low rate of fire
- Slow reload time (M249 only)
- During the period of Y4S1(Burnt Horizon)-Y5S3(Shadow Legacy) was the unique sight that was labled Scope which only could be applied to the M249. While functionally similar to a regular ACOG Sight, the Scope was a unique model that had a different reticle. This scope has since been converted to the Scope 3.0x and is no longer available on the M249.
- Gridlock's 60-round magazine is a casket magazine. A divider in the middle of the magazine allows rounds to be stacked into four columns, doubling the capacity. The magazine model itself is based on Surefire's High-Capacity Casket (or Quad-Stacked) magazines.
- This magazine was once incorrectly used on the AR-15.50. The model was probably recycled for the M249 after it was removed from the AR-15.
- The scope previously available for the M249 is based on the Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24 Scope.