- "I was trapped, for a long time. Lived and seen things, you couldn't imagine. Now I see things... in a different light."
Bostonian Erik Thorn came from a multilingual home and ranked in the top 2% in intelligence. After High School, he enlisted with the U.S. Army and rose in rank over a short period of time. He learned Dari, and became an Intelligence Officer, serving in Kabul as foreign reporters, adventurers, and criminals flocked to the city. Thorn was well known in the underground club circuit and even among locals as a proficient Buzkashi player.
Thorn was invited into the Unit as their regional specialist. Following selection, he remained in country gathering intel, building networks of allies and safe houses, and tracking hostiles. As the situation in Kabul worsened, Thorn kept tabs on Americans, rescuing them when necessary, and helping locals escape the violence. He was investigating a missing reporter when the Unit lost contact with him. After two years of silence, he re-emerged with enough intel to dismantle a major insurgency operation. There were still questions regarding his disappearance, but he was exonerated and his testimony sealed. His successful missions, along with his expertise, gained him the attention of Six.
I knew Specialist Erik "Maverick" Thorn well before his disappearance. He was a legend among Intelligence Collectors as the spook who “went native.” He’s often difficult to engage with since he’s incredibly intelligent and able to read others with remarkable intensity, but ask him about Kabul or Buzkashi and he can barely contain his excitement.
I've never seen old men sell their services on street corners to write love letters before, so it’s hardly surprising he took to Afghanistan… it's a bewitching culture. When expats began partying in underground clubs and drinking at restaurants, Specialist Thorn admitted that he knew the "Kabubble" was going to pop hard, that Westerners would become easy targets. He saw the writing on the wall before anyone else did.
From a young age, Specialist Thorn handled an almost overwhelming amount of sensory input that would have shut down most kids. Instead, he compartmentalized and deconstructed everything around him as a way to function. It’s one reason I think he internalizes his emotions.
His parents were loving but rigid; they barely let him explore his own neighborhood. It's what drove him to join the army, to experience a world he could only dream about. It’s hardly surprising Kabul left such a heavy imprint on him. I don't think he emerged from his shell until he started traveling and even now, his mind is with us, but his heart is in Kabul.
Specialist Thorn has displayed a remarkable empathy stemming from his ability to watch, listen, and dissect. People confide in him and it's why he survived in Kabul as a fly on the wall.
I'm still going through debriefs regarding his disappearance. It reads like a terrifying thriller but the scars that came with his experience have only tied him more closely to Afghanistan. I think his tattoo is a reminder of that life.
A Light Armored Operator, Maverick comes equipped with his Exothermic-S "Suri" Torch. It can make holes in any breachable surface, including Reinforced Walls, creating new lines of sight silently.
- Maverick's Breaching Torch is a relatively quiet gadget that makes holes through surfaces. While able to make holes in reinforced surfaces, its main use is to open lines of sight in relative discretion.
- Firing the Breaching Torch produces a constant jet of flame with a maximum distance of two meters. The jet of flame destroys breakable surfaces and objects it touches and injures Operators and hostages it touches.
- The Breaching Torch can be used freely, allowing for holes of various shapes and sizes to be made.
- When breaching reinforced walls, the jet of flame will not immediately cut into the breakable surface it touches and requires a moment of patience on a single position to create a full hole. Moving too quickly will not cut it properly while moving too slowly will waste fuel.
- Breaching thin walls and surfaces, including Barricades, will take less time, therefore less fuel.
- Holes can be made large enough to substitute for an explosive breach.
- Creating a hole that Maverick and other Operators can traverse through takes time and a lot of fuel. Circular holes maximize the area breached without wasting fuel, and keeping the hole close to the ground can allow crouching through them.
- Due to how destruction works, cutting a line through the top of a reinforced wall and another through the bottom of it will completely destroy the middle of the wall between the two lines. This is because the anchors on reinforced walls are broken.
- The mechanic for breaking reinforced hatches is less understood, but it is certain that burning what is already broken does not contribute to destroying the hatch. Maverick needs to cut around the edges of the hatch to effectively destroy it.
- As with similar gadgets such as Pulse's Heartbeat Sensor, Maverick cannot attack back when using his Torch, making him vulnerable while creating holes.
- The Breaching Torch can destroy enemy gadgets quickly, such as Deployable Shields, as well as Operator gadgets like Maestro's Evil Eyes. While he can also take out Barbed Wire, it takes 2 seconds of using the Blowtorch to take one out.
- The Torch deals 5 damage to an operator touching the flame every quarter of a second.
- Firing the Breaching Torch (regardless if the flame hits anything) consumes fuel. The Breaching Torch has five fuel tanks in total, each providing ~5 seconds of flame.
- Reloading the Breaching Torch takes roughly one second, however, any leftover fuel in the tank will be lost, even if the tank was mostly full.
- The Breaching Torch is not affected by Mute's Signal Disruptors, Bandit's Shock Wires or Kaid's Electroclaws, however, in the case of the latter two, getting too close to them will still shock Maverick.
- The Breaching Torch cannot breach through Mira's Black Mirrors by burning them directly. Instead, breaching the four anchors at their corners (only visible on the inside) will instantly destroy it.
- Due to his main role in creating holes in reinforced surfaces, Operators such as Blackbeard and Glaz can benefit the most from working with Maverick.
- IQ can find gadgets behind Reinforced Walls so that Maverick can make a precise hole with which to destroy the gadget.
- Maverick can benefit from Lion's EE-ONE-D Drone, which will discourage defenders from moving, allowing Maverick to create holes in relative safety.
- Kaid's Electroclaws can affect many Reinforced Walls and Hatches that are within its range. When placed carefully, Maverick cannot directly destroy them himself.
Breaching Torch x 5
- "Blowtorch capable of burning holes reinforced walls at an almost inaudible level."
— Exothermic-S "Suri" Torch Description
- Maverick was first officially revealed on August 16th, 2018.
- Besides the tattoo of Afghanistan on his left arm, several aspects about Maverick reflect back to the time he spent in the country, specifically Kabul.
- Maverick's hat is a Pakol, a kind of soft, round-topped hat worn by Pashtun men in countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- At times, Maverick will speak in Dari (mentioned as "Farsi" in-game), reflecting his background on learning the language.
- Maverick's gadget's name, "Suri", means "red" in the Persian language, including Dari. It is also the name of a type of red-toned Damask rose.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|