- "Think of me as your conscience. I see everything, and I'm just as ruthless."
Dr. Elena María Álvarez, codenamed Mira, is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, introduced in the Operation Velvet Shell expansion alongside Jackal. She is the acting Research and Development Director of Rainbow.
Working alongside her father in his mechanics store from a young age, Álvarez can find the weaker spot on any machinery and turn it into an edge. She joined the police force Cuerpo Nacional de Policía so that she could be of service to those in need of protection, and thus serve her country.
Proving to have stellar strength, endurance and knowledge of vehicles sparked her progress in the ballistic field. She joined the Grupo Especial de Operaciones (GEO) to develop and test bulletproof materials on the field as well as enhancing bridging vehicles.
Abandoned by her mother at birth, she was raised by her father in Madrid. Being an only child, she found her purpose working for the family business.
Specialist Elena María “Mira" Álvarez thinks on her feet. Someone this adaptable and versatile is difficult to predict. as they should be. She takes risks, though, and I'm hoping they're calculated ones. Álvarez is one of the operators who most strives to be a hero. Ferociously protective of teammates and those she considers friends, she can nonetheless dominate an operation, forcing others to blend their tactics with hers if they wish to succeed.
Álvarez enjoys her time in the lab and l'm grateful she accepted my offer to become head of R&D. Working surrounded by machinery reminds her of her father and the strong bond they continue to share.
As far back as she can recall it was only ever the two of them, though her father's shared memories of her grandmother gave her a second role model to look up to. One story stands out in particular: While working late in his garage, her father was pinned under a car. Álvarez found him. She was seven years old. Refusing to leave him, she struggled with the heavy jack – despite his protests – and got him free. Only then did she run for help.
This is the loyalty and stubbornness that I see in her, and that her team appreciates. It comes from a kind heart.
When not working, Álvarez is restless, which she's managed to channel into her art. Her metal sculptures are a source of great pride and she showed me photos of her portfolio. The way she incorporates used machine parts and ballistic glass is enchanting.
Alvarez uses her artistic sensibilities to visualize scenarios with unique clarity. The team should be encouraged to make better use of his talent.
Her ongoing rivalry with Specialist Eliza “Ash" Cohen is a clash of two strong- willed people. Both have solid leadership skills and both care about their teams. They simply approach challenges differently. We need to work through some scenarios where they can both apply their strengths to reach an acceptable outcome. Only through joint success will they see the value of each other's approaches.
Mira can punch her Black Mirrors through walls, reinforced or not, to create a one-way view to the other side. This allows her and her teammates to look out from the safety of the air-compressed glass. If the Defender attending the Black Mirror wants, they can break the gas canister to create for themselves a murder hole.
- Mira's Black Mirrors are specialized reinforced glass-breaches that are immune to oncoming gunfire, allowing her team to safely observe an Attacking operator without risk.
- Mira can deploy her Black Mirrors on any breachable wall. She can place them at crouch height or head level, and can even place them over the border between a reinforced and non-reinforced wall.
- Deploying a Mirror takes 5 seconds.
- Mira has two Mirrors, and once deployed, they cannot be removed through normal means.
- Mira can only deploy the Mirror on the "deployed" side of a reinforced wall.
- Non-reinforced walls cannot be reinforced if a Black Mirror was deployed first.
- Mira can place the Black Mirrors at an elevated height if she is standing on an elevated surface while doing so.
- As a one-way mirror, the Black Mirror is see-through only from the side it was deployed from.
- The Black Mirrors can eject their bulletproof window by breaking their gas canister. The gas canister, located on the deployment side, can be destroyed by either gunfire, melee or, in more extreme cases, explosives such as Nitro Cells and Impact Grenades.
- Breaking the canister releases smoke and a loud noise that can be heard on both sides. The window will be ejected after a four-second delay, creating a viewing port that players can shoot through. Note that the window's borders will still remain.
- There are four anchors on the Black Mirror, two located at the top side and two on the bottom. Should they be destroyed by a thermal breaching gadget, the black mirror will be instantly and completely destroyed, not leaving behind a border.
- Mira works well with Operators like Mute, Bandit and Kaid as their gadgets are able to prevent Attacker gadgets from destroying the Black Mirrors if deployed on a reinforced wall.
- Twitch's Shock Drone is capable of shooting its shock darts and destroy Black Mirrors' gas canisters.
- Thermite and Hibana's gadgets, when deployed on a reinforced wall with the Black Mirror, will destroy the Black Mirrors.
- If the Black Mirror is deployed on a non-reinforced wall, destruction of the wall around the Black Mirror will remove the Black Mirror with it.
- Because of the nature of the Black Mirrors, Blitz and Ying, as well as any Attacker with a Stun Grenade, are still able to blind Defenders through them.
- Maverick's Breaching Torch can take out the locks of the Black Mirror, destroying it instantly provided he knows where they are exactly located.
- Maverick can also create a small hole underneath the Black Mirror, allowing him to shoot the gas canister and eject the black mirror easily.
Black Mirror x 2
- "Deploys a one-way bulletproof mirror on breakable and reinforced walls. Also can be ejected to create a murder hole."
— Black Mirror Description
Álvarez came up with the idea for Black Mirror during Operation Blue Orion, when she was forced to improvise a panic room at the Embassy of Spain in Tel Aviv. She used this experience to design a specialized laminated glass, which when deployed with oxyacetylene can carve out a one-way mirror on any wall. If the air pressure is disrupted, however, the glass is ejected and creates a daring opening for both defenders and attackers.
Mira (Dr. Elena “Mira" Álvarez, Director of R&D) wanted an unbiased evaluation of her Black Mirror so I volunteered to test it. We ran the composite glass (technically a layer of laminate over glass fibers embedded in plastic) through multiple test phases. Its durability is impressive. The one-way mirror is both bullet- and blast-resistant, but it's the frame that transmits kinetic energy the most efficiently, putting less stress on the mirror to absorb the shock of impacts.
When deployed, the oxyacetylene burns through reinforced and unreinforced walls alike, while the gas-driven pneumatics lodge the frame into the wall and push out the obstructing material. When the oxygen canister is destroyed, the pins are pushed back and the glass drops, creating a murder hole. Mira asked that I check vulnerabilities to Specialist Erik "Maverick" Thorn's torch so l've attached those results as well.
Honestly, I don't know what she's got against my Brimstone charges. We're both doing the same thing. My version's just more efficient.
(Comment_E. Álvarez: Dream on, Jordan.)
- - J. Trace
- Mira was first teased in the Operation Red Crow Mid-Season Reinforcements website, and later officially introduced in the Operation Velvet Shell expansion as playable character alongside Jackal.
- Mira means "look" in Spanish. The similarities between "Mira" and "mirror" are notable as well, as her gadget is called the Black Mirror.
- Mira was the lead engineer that created the specialized ballistic shield for Tachanka's LMG. She, alongside Twitch, also worked on the creation of the CCE Shield for Clash. She also designed Nøkk's HEL device, and potentially Ash's M120 as well.
- Mira has gone through many confusing changes in her basic information.
- Mira's original name was Elena Álvarez Del Manzano. This later changed to Elena María Álvarez. The original name is still used in some official materials, and the Ubisoft website displays her name as Elena Maria Alvarez del Manzano.
- Mira's original date of birth was stated to be on November 18, 1971. The year was later changed to 1977.
- Even her height changed from 1.78 meters to 1.65. If this had remained, she would have been one of the tallest female operators in the game, but is now among the shortest.
- Mira developed a rivalry with FBI SWAT Operator Eliza Cohen following Operation Blue Orion.
- On Mira's Season Invitational charm (titled "Mira's Family), the coordinates 40°26'04.0"N 3°43'45.0"W are inscribed as well as the words "Tu Padre" (meaning 'your father'). The coordinates lead to a park in Madrid, Spain.
- In Nokk's concept art #5, Mira is seen working on her gadget with the quote "Always a pleasure to see another professional at work."
- Mira is the one who ran diagnostics of Kali and Wamai's gadgets and weapons.
- Mira, Finka, and IQ all collaborated to refine Warden's Smart Glasses.
- Mira finds Warden a nuisance for repeatedly asking her to develop new styles for his Smart Glasses.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|
- ↑ In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- ↑ In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- ↑ Update 5.2 Patch Notes - Mid-Season Reinforcements
- ↑ Update 2.1.0 Patch Notes - Velvet Shell
- ↑ Rainbow Six Siege patches/Patch 5.2
- ↑ Clash's In-game BIO > NOTES section
- ↑ Harry's Board: "Our operators aren't only soldiers, doctors, engineers, inventors, artists..."
- ↑ https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/game-info/operator/mira.aspx
- ↑ Mira's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section