Seamus Cowden, codenamed Sledge, is an Attacking Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege. He is one of the 21 operators available from the start of the game.
Cowden hails from the upper tip of the Scottish Highlands. Due to his imposing physical stature and athleticism, he found early success as the Captain of the 1998 Scotland National under-20 Rugby Union Team. A strong desire for public service inspired Cowden to enlist in the army at 18, after five years of active duty, he was recruited by the SAS.
Cowden displays natural leadership qualities, likely developed during his amateur sports career. His comfort on the front line can be attributed to his confidence and tactical experience.
A Medium Armored Operator, Sledge wields a specialized Tactical Breaching Hammer, known as "The Caber", which can breach through almost all non-reinforced surfaces and barricades with relative silence. Because of this, Sledge is able to bust through walls, floors, and barricades with a silent yet aggressive pace.
- The Breaching Hammer allows Sledge to break breachable surfaces with a single swing, capable opening holes large enough to climb through.
- The Hammer can destroy many gadgets with a single blow, some of which are normally invincible or require a few melee hits. This includes Barbed Wire, Deployable Shields, Castle's Armor Panels and Maestro's Evil Eyes.
- The Hammer can't break through non-destructible surfaces or a Reinforced Wall - attempting to do so will only consume durability.
- The Hammer has limited durability, with twenty-five "charges" shown as a green bar on the UI. Breaching a wall consumes two charges while breaching a barricade and hitting anything else (including flooring) takes one.
- Though impractical, Sledge's breaching hammer is capable of killing enemies in one hit, which counts as 2 charges.
- Like other gadgets in the game, Sledge takes a moment to unequip his hammer after using it. This brief delay will leave him vulnerable.
- The Breaching Hammer needs to be fairly close to a wall in order to destroy both sides of the wall. If not, the Hammer will only break the external surface, leaving the internal one intact. This necessitates a second swing, delaying breach and wasting the Breaching Hammer's durability.
- Sledge works especially well with other Breaching Operators such as Thermite, Buck and Hibana. While he and Buck can destroy non-reinforced walls, Thermite and Hibana can breach those that are reinforced with their exothermic gadgets.
- Sledge works well with Maverick, as Maverick can breach reinforced walls and Sledge can aid him with grenades or use his opening to attack.
- Sledge works well with mid to long-range Operators, so Operators such as Glaz can aid him from afar.
- IQ can detect electronic objects, guiding Sledge on which gadgets to destroy if he breaches a wall.
- Thatcher can destroy devices with his EMP grenades, allowing Sledge to focus on breaching the objective.
- Pulse can detect Sledge through his Cardiac Sensor like everyone else, giving his position away and thus results in losing the element of surprise.
Tactical Breaching Hammer
- "Uses a Breaching Hammer to breach through destructible surfaces."
— Tactical Breaching Hammer "The Caber" Description
While breaching hammers are nothing new to CTU or law enforcement operations, “The Caber” is unique due to its exceptional size and weight. Such dimensions would be impractical in the hands of most agents but Sledge’s exceptional physical prowess make it a formidable presence on the battlefield, allowing for quick and effective breaches.
Sledge’s breaching hammer was directly inspired by CTU battering rams. There are four kinds of breaching tools: mechanical, ballistic, explosive and thermal. Using sledgehammers or other blunt objects to breach is known as mechanical breaching, and often serves as a relatively quiet supplement compared to the other, more attention-grabbing methods. Mechanical breaching was used during the Iranian Embassy Siege to gain access to rooms and is still used in modern-day conflicts in tight urban zones where ballistic or explosive breaching methods carry more risk.
- The in-game bio of Seamus Cowden can be seen for a quick moment in 1:15 of the White Masks Reveal trailer at E3 2015.
- On Sledge's character model, there is a tartan on the right of his lower leg. The same tartan pattern can be seen wrapped on The Caber. Both either resemble or actually is the tartan of Clan Stewart.
- The Breaching Hammer's name, "The Caber", refers to a type of roughly trimmed tree trunk used in the Scottish Highland sport of "tossing the caber", which involves holding the tree trunk upright, running forward and then tossing it so that it lands on the opposite end.
- The alternate used when Sledge is equipped with his L Detachment Uniform is a traditional Scottish hammer used in the Scottish hammer throw competition of the Highland games.
- Sledge is wearing a dual-filter gas mask but has no filter. In reality, this would cause him to suffocate.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|