- "I know what you're wondering. "What's in the canister?" I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill you. Hehe. I'm only mucking about, relax. As for what's in the canister, it's best you don't ask."
James Porter, codenamed Smoke, is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
James Porter was born on May 14, 1981 at King's Cross in London, England. Porter was not an exceptional student growing up though aptitude tests revealed his propensity for science. Encouraged by faculty and his parents, he was able to follow an unorthodox manner of education through tutors, home-schooling, and field science. Flourishing from his break from formal studies, he quickly developed his skills in chemistry, biology, and math. During his gap year, Porter was uninterested in pursuing a formal university education. He enlisted in the British Army and forged a fake ID in order to circumvent parental consent.
After basic training, he was stationed in Belfast, finding the posting to be a bit dull. In the wake of the March 2007 treaty, he joined the Army Boxing Team as a middleweight. Though the rigidity of army rules wasn't always a good fit, it was offset by the diverse range of training and experiences army life gave him. While he has been reprimanded for breaking rules, his superiors quickly recognized both his innovation and strategic perspective. He was then encouraged to join the SAS.
Porter is a thrill seeker with very little regard for his personal safety. He is fearless in battle and can be a great asset for defensive maneuvers. However, he seems to enjoy the havoc and chaos of war. He tends to have an odd sense of humor in stressful situations. Can be narcissistic. Porter prefers to acquire knowledge and skills, such as language and music, in his own way and does not excel in a formal training capacity.
It's important for me to not have any preconceived expectations before a face-to-face with any specialist. Since assessments of Specialist James "Smoke" Porter contain some contradictions, I couldn't have settled into any viewpoint anyway. So essentially he entered my office as somewhat of a mystery. […]
Porter is consistently described as detached. I reviewed his files and found that his "aloofness" occurs during high-intensity situations. It's likely not detachment, but focus. I'm reminded of my uncle who used to tap his forehead and tell me to master my mind. Porter, I think, is master his mind to stay on task and filter out dangerous distractions. He strives to keep emotions away from decision-making, opting for outlets such as live music events to deplete the tension, thus enabling him to be the person he needs to be on the job. […]
It's clear that Porter's parents encouraged him to be a free spirit and develop his education and personality on his own terms. While it resulted in some unfortunate mishaps - one science experiment left some physical scars but no emotional ones that I can see - there was great benefit in it. […] Porter's free range education helped create a complex, dynamic person who isn't easily categorized.
Porter is popular among his teammates and considered valuable despite some recklessness. Descriptions such as thrill-seeker and fearless seem simplistic to me, however. There's more nuance to Porter than that. He's measured and understands calculated risks. Porter - and our other operators - understand that it's more important to respect fear than to try to pretend we never feel it. […]
Self-taught from an early age, Porter continues to spend time cultivating his own identity. He enjoys acquiring experiences and once he's mastered them, moves on. The exception is his adopted daughter. He would only share one photo of her. I've never seen an infant surrounded by so much dangerous paraphernalia, but Porter assures me she is now in high school, excelling within the system he himself was unable to comprehend. Through her, he sees the world in new ways - exactly the kind of challenge he adores.
- - Dr. Harishva "Harry" Pandey, Director of Rainbow
A Medium Armored Operator, Smoke is equipped with three Compound Z8 Remote Gas Grenades, remotely detonated gas canisters that will damage and possibly kill whoever it comes in contact with. Smoke is the only Operator immune to his Grenades - every other person will take damage if they enter the hazard zone. This includes Attackers, Defenders, and the Hostage in their respective gamemodes.
- Gas Grenades are thrown by Smoke and stick onto surfaces they touch. Once activated, the Grenade will release a toxic gas cloud.
- Gas Grenades have a throwing profile similar to Impact Grenades, meaning that they can be thrown quick and far, allowing them to be easily tossed and detonated in a firefight.
- The gas cloud primarily spreads parallel to the surface that the grenade is attached to. The cloud will not spread perpendicularly, and will not spread to areas behind it.
- The gas cloud is dark yellow, and physically acts like a Smoke Grenade cloud, blocking vision in the given area.
- The gas cloud deals 15 points of damage every half-second (30 points of damage per second), regardless of the Operator's Armor and Speed rating. Because of this, the Gas Grenades can down an Operator in just over three seconds.
- The gas cloud lasts around 11 seconds before dissipating.
- Attackers under the effects of Finka's Adrenal Surge will take double the damage (60 points of damage per second) if they are within the area of effect. This means that Operators will be downed in just two seconds if they do not escape in time.
- Smoke works well with other Defenders who have Barbed Wire in their arsenal. This reduction in movement speed simultaneously increases his Gas Grenades' effectiveness as the victims struggle to escape from the gas cloud further.
- Smoke works well with Frost's Welcome Mat. The Welcome Mat's victims are unable to move while Smoke's Gas Grenades finish the job.
- Due to Smoke's Gas Grenades utilizing a remote control to detonate, it is susceptible to the same disadvantages as other electronic gadgets.
- Although not immediate counters to the Gas Grenades, Light Armored Operators are able to escape the Gas quicker than the other two Armor Types.
- "Sets remote detonated toxic gas charges"
— Compound Z8 Grenade Description
Device: Compound Z8 Grenades
Operator: Specialist James "Smoke" Porter
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Liu Tze "Lesion" Long with Specialist James "Smoke" Porter
Controlled tests of the Compound Z8 Grenade required a number of measures including limiting the presence of lab personnel to only the most critical. Strict rules surrounding the PPE disposal (personal protective equipment) and protocols for hazards had to be maintained at all times. Even though the facility is state-of-the-art, additional precautionary measures were required before testing could begin.
The Compound Z8 Grenade mixture's incapacitating agents are comprised of - (substances are classified and so have been redacted from this document by the order of the Director of Research and Development). As such, the presence of Specialist James Porter and Specialist Liu Tze Long is required at all times, including for any future testing.
First tests were basic data gathering, including the structural integrity and design of the canisters, as well as deployment timing and range of effect. Evaluation also included a series of tests to measure exposure guidance levels, and where necessary, antidote compounds are being reviewed as well. Data results are still being processed and will be attached when they're ready.
- - Lesion and Smoke
8"sURE, I care about the environment. Immediately around me, anyway."
- Smoke's original date of birth was stated to be on May 14, 1990. The year was later changed to 1981 with the release of the game.
- Smoke joined the Army Boxing Team as a middleweight when he was stationed in Belfast. The reason for this was finding his post dull in the wake of the March 2007 treaty.
- Smoke's own boxing experience is what allowed him and Thatcher to be selected for potential attempts to anchor GIS Operator Adriano "Maestro" Martello to stay in Rainbow, given the latter's history of wanderlust and tendency to leave once he reaches a goal. In Smoke's case, being the more experienced boxer between him and Maestro allows the latter to fulfill his tendency to take on tasks that he may likely fail at, as his own boxing experience is rooted in his childhood with boxing with the Romany.
- Smoke and Thatcher teamed up and joined forces with SDU Operator Liu "Lesion" Tze Long on the latter's first operation, Operation Green Viper. Upon completion of the mission, the two helped celebrate Lesion's first successful mission with an extra day in Macau, filing the event as an off-duty bonus.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|