- "I know what you're wondering. "What's in the canister?" I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill you. Hehe. I'm only mucking about, relax. As for what's in the canister, it's best you don't ask."
James Porter, codenamed Smoke, is a Defending Operator featured in Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege.
Porter was not an academic, although in secondary school, he excelled in science. He took a particular interest in biology and the unit on dissection. During his gap year, Porter enlisted in the British Army, using a fake ID to circumvent parental consent.
Porter is a thrill seeker with very little regard for his personal safety. He is fearless in battle and can be a great asset for defensive maneuvers. However, he seems to enjoy the havoc and chaos of war. He tends to have an odd sense of humor in stressful situations. Can be narcissistic.
A Medium Armored Operator, Smoke is equipped with three Compound Z8 Remote Gas Grenades, remotely detonated gas canisters that will damage and possibly kill whoever it comes in contact with. Smoke is the only Operator immune to his Grenades - every other person will take damage if they enter the hazard zone. This includes Attackers, Defenders, and the Hostage in their respective gamemodes.
- Gas Grenades are thrown by Smoke and stick onto surfaces they touch. Once activated, the Grenade will release a toxic gas cloud.
- Gas Grenades have a throwing profile similar to Impact Grenades, meaning that they can be thrown quick and far, allowing them to be easily tossed and detonated in a firefight.
- The gas cloud primarily spreads parallel to the surface that the grenade is attached to. The cloud will not spread perpendicularly, and will not spread to areas behind it.
- The gas cloud is dark yellow, and physically acts like a Smoke Grenade cloud, blocking vision in the given area.
- The gas cloud deals 15 points of damage every half-second (30 points of damage per second), regardless of the Operator's Armor and Speed rating. Because of this, the Gas Grenades can down an Operator in just over three seconds.
- The gas cloud lasts around 11 seconds before dissipating.
- Attackers under the effects of Finka's Adrenal Surge will take double the damage (60 points of damage per second) if they are within the area of effect. This means that Operators will be downed in just two seconds if they do not escape in time.
- Smoke works well with other Defenders who have Barbed Wire in their arsenal. This reduction in movement speed simultaneously increases his Gas Grenades' effectiveness as the victims struggle to escape from the gas cloud further.
- Smoke works well with Frost's Welcome Mat. The Welcome Mat's victims are unable to move while Smoke's Gas Grenades finish the job.
- Due to Smoke's Gas Grenades utilizing a remote control to detonate, it is susceptible to the same disadvantages as other electronic gadgets.
- Although not immediate counters to the Gas Grenades, Light Armored Operators are able to escape the Gas quicker than the other two Armor Types.
Remote Gas Grenade x 3
- "Sets remote detonated toxic gas charges"
— Compound Z8 Grenade Description
Porter requested a portable defence system that could deliver the most damage to intruders in a targeted area. Fashioned with a remote detonator, Porter can view the results from a distance. The mines are filled with a collection of biological substances, that on their own are inert, but when combined, have a more volatile effect. The resulting concoction incapacitates anyone exposed to it.
- Smoke's original date of birth was stated to be on May 14, 1990. The year was later changed to 1981 with the release of the game.
- Smoke joined the Army Boxing Team as a middleweight when he was stationed in Belfast. The reason for this was finding his post dull in the wake of the March 2007 treaty.
- Smoke's own boxing experience is what allowed him and Thatcher to be selected for potential attempts to anchor GIS Operator Adriano "Maestro" Martello to stay in Rainbow, given the latter's history of wanderlust and tendency to leave once he reaches a goal. In Smoke's case, being the more experienced boxer between him and Maestro allows the latter to fulfill his tendency to take on tasks that he may likely fail at, as his own boxing experience is rooted in his childhood with boxing with the Romany.
- Smoke and Thatcher teamed up and joined forces with SDU Operator Liu "Lesion" Tze Long on the latter's first operation, Operation Green Viper. Upon completion of the mission, the two helped celebrate Lesion's first successful mission with an extra day in Macau, filing the event as an off-duty bonus.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|