- "The punch starts from the heart and does not miss."
— Blog's subtitle
Born in the comfortable Central district of Hong Kong, Siu Mei Lin was a close protection operative before joining the Special Duties Unit (SDU). With her acute reflexes and cunning CQB methods, she took the lead on several VIP and witness protection operations.
Having deployed an explosive short-range power and combat skills, she joined an elite security service school after graduation. Aiming to become an all-purpose operative, she traveled to a female exclusive training facility in Tel Aviv, Israel. She spent two years there, developing an expertise in firearms and driving maneuvers. Part of Operation High Sun.
After completing her program she returned to Hong Kong, where she ensured the protection of several high-risk profiles. In 2008, she reoriented her toward the police force after being involved in a kidnapping situation.
She was first recruited to review the processes used by the Police Tactical Force's Security Wing. During this time, her interest to lead international rescue operations grew, which drove her to apply to the SDU.
Her easy-going manner allows her to blend in, making her clients and teammates feel both secure and comfortable. Shows potential signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. She admitted having flashbacks of the car crash when she rushes into high-risk situations involving a number of civilians. Her extreme driving maneuvers may be a way for her to cope with stress, to assert control over those memories.
Commanders have a tendency to see Specialist Siu "Ying" Mei Lin as conventional. While she can be conservative in her strategic planning, she's surprisingly quick to change tack. This is perfectly illustrated by the tactical driving maneuvers she's able to perform, calculating multiple adaptive routes in fractions of a second. It's genuinely impressive.
Though serious and, I noticed, quite fastidious, I can see why clients and teammates feel secure and comfortable with her around. She has a manner that is tailored for putting people at ease, even as she constantly scans the environment for threats. I wondered about the fastidiousness, whether it comes from the thought processes imposed upon her by her training, or if it's a trait she's always had. Her response was, "Column A, Column B."
Her childhood was comfortable – but, she points out, "boring." Her mother is a Hong Kong government worker and she grew up surrounded by serious adults, discussing serious things. From a young age, ten or so, Siu would slip away from these "boring conversations" to wander the city. Her favorite memories are of riding the MTR – the subway – and jumping off at random stops. And she told me that wherever she travels, in her off-time, she still does this. She says the best way to get to know a city is to let it surprise you.
It's a shame that this sense of adventure isn't reflected in her official file. After our conversation, it's clear that Siu has a limitless sense of adventure and fearless enthusiasm for new experiences. She unabashedly gets excited at the idea of joint operations and is often one of the first to volunteer.
Invested in her career and role in law enforcement, she never wavers in her dedication. Which often forces her superiors to order to take time off. So, her seriousness can be misconstrued. I think she's someone who is always calculating risks. She understands how to wreak havoc on the opposition and unsettle them. The team considers her valuable but she expects clear strategic leadership, and I would caution commanders not to underestimate her.
A Medium Armored Operator, Ying comes equipped with her Candelas, specialized timed explosives which can either be thrown or anchored onto a deployable surface to shoot out six flash charges into an area.
- Each Candela contains six customized flash charges that function slightly differently to Stun Grenades.
- Candelas have two deployment options:
- The first option would be to throw it like a regular grenade, firing flashes in a star pattern (five flashes at the corners and then one in the middle). The flashes will detonate in the order they are fired.
- Unlike other grenades, upon contact on the ground with its delayed timer, Candelas will not bounce around. Instead, it will start to roll smoothly, continuing in the direction it was hit the ground at, rolling along walls and other physical obstacles without deflecting. A possible play with this property involves bouncing the candela off walls to control the direction it rolls in, creating a "curveball" effect around obstacles and hard-to-attack locations.
- Alternatively, a Candela can be placed on a breakable surface, where it will act similarly to Fuze's Cluster Charges, firing its flashes on the other side of the surface. The first 5 flashes will be fired in a line from right to left with the 6th flash dropping in front of the Candela charge. The 6th flash will detonate first, followed by the rest detonating in the order they are fired.
- The six flashes are fired and detonated every fifth of a second. The sixth flash is fired exactly when the first flash detonates.
- Both Candela deployment options utilize timed fuzes, which means that they're immune to Mute's Jammers.
- Candelas can be "cooked" before being thrown or deployed on a breakable surface. Cooking a Candela will advance its fuze, decreasing the length of delay between deployment and detonation.
- There are three lights on the Candela that will progressively light up; for each one lit, the Candela's delay timer will shorten. One light is a 5 second-delay, two lights is a 3-second delay, and three lights is a 1-second delay. However, throwing immediately will cause the Candela to activate on impact.
- The effective range of the Flash Charges is far larger in size than a regular Stun Grenade, as it can reach across entire hallways (over 10 meters). However, the duration of each flash is half-a-second from such a distance, up to roughly 3 seconds at point-blank. However, effectiveness has been irregular due to how the flashes launch far and wide.
- The maximum effectiveness of these Flash Charges (roughly 4 seconds) is reached if the Operator is progressively flashed by all six flashes. This requires no obstruction, thus a smaller room or narrow hallway.
- Much like Fuze, the Candela can also punch through Castle's Armor Panels, though the hole left behind is much smaller.
- Unlike normal grenades, Candelas can be destroyed by gunfire if they're shot before they activate.
- Ying wears special glasses that make herself immune to her own flashes, which activate via a blue tint that can be seen from both herself and other Operators. However, she is only immune to her own Candelas, not regular Stun Grenades or Blitz's Flash Shield.
- Thatcher, IQ and Twitch can be helpful allies when faced with a Jäger, as they can take out the Magpies before they can take out Ying's Candelas.
- Fuze is a natural partner to Ying due to their similar functions. After Ying blinds enemies within with her Candela, Fuze can use his Cluster Charge to quickly take out the disoriented Defenders.
- Utility-wise, Capitão can be a good ally to maximize disorientating enemies with his Micro Smoke Grenades alongside Ying's Candelas.
- Candelas can be shot and destroyed by bullets and explosions.
- Barbed Wire will slow down the Candelas' rolling speed.
- Jäger's Active Defense Systems are able to shoot down Candelas that come into range, thus preventing all six flashes.
- Even if the Candela is allowed to dispatch its flashes, the ADS can still target each separate flash it sends out.
- Conversely, Ying can disable all three Defense Systems through a well-placed Candela, provided all charges come in range of all of them.
- Being an electronic gadget, the Candelas can be destroyed by Bandit's Shock Wires like other gadgets of its type.
- When activated, Warden's Glance Smart Glasses make him immune to the effects of the Candela. Even after being flashed, Warden can still activate the glasses to clear up the blinding effects and allow him to see normally.
- "Cluster of flash charges that can either be anchored on a surface or rolled out like a grenade."
— Candela Description
Operator: Specialist Siu "Ying" Mei Lin
Evaluation Lead: Specialist Emmanuelle "Twitch" Pichon, Project Lead Defense R&D
Specialist Ying (Siu Mei Lin) was on her way to evaluate her Candela Cluster Charges but flight delays meant she didn't arrive for the scheduled lab time. The good news: She did arrive in time to review the results with me before I filed this. We've attached some additional information from her notes. (It was really good to see her and Echo – Specialist Enatsu – having a friendly conversation.)
Since the Candelas are fairly straightforward, I wasn't expecting so many members of the team to be interested in watching the evaluation and seeing the results. Including myself, the lab was a full house! We had Specialists Liu and Porter (Lesion and Smoke) – who are starting to look like mad scientists and should be ordered to take time off – interested in the Candela's compound, and then we had Fuze (Specialist Kessikbayev) who was interested in the Candela's "cooking" phase. It was fun to have different approaches and questions involved in the testing process, and it shows in the data we gathered. Unsurprisingly, the Candela cluster charges are already operating at optimum efficiency.
- - Twitch
- Ying (Chinese: 螢), means "Firefly" in Chinese.
- A Candela is an SI unit measurement for luminous intensity, specifically in regards to a particular direction.
- In 2004, Ying had an altercation with Spetsnaz Operator Shurat "Fuze" Kessikbayev, considering him to be a "questionable asset" due to believing he had a disregard for civilian lives. It was only after FBI SWAT Operator Eliza "Ash" Cohen stepped in to help resolve it. The events of this altercation were redacted.
- Ying once collaborated and was formerly romantically involved with SAT Operator Masaru "Echo" Enatsu. They started dating in 2005 before breaking up a year later.
- Curiously, unlike the other Operators available in Outbreak, Ying has no unique lines.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|
- ↑ 《彩虹六号：围攻》香港干员中文名确定 “血兰花行动”测试预载今日启动
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Update 2.3.0 Patch Notes - Operation Blood Orchid
- ↑ Ying's In-game BIO > BACKGROUND section
- ↑ Ying's In-game BIO > PSYCHOLOGICAL PROFILE section
- ↑ Macie Jay (July 2019). "Tips & Tricks: Ying - Rainbow Six Siege". YouTube.
- ↑ Operation Blood Orchid - Operator: Ying (螢)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Ying's In-game BIO > NOTES section