- "I decide when to restrain and when to kill. Only the best calls the shots."
Zofia Bosak was born on January 28, 1981 in Wrocław, Poland. She is the oldest daughter of Jan Bosak, former commander of the Polish Special Forces unit GROM. She is also the older sister of Elżbieta Bosak. Growing up, her father favored Zofia, causing a rift between them. Despite this, Zofia was highly protective of her sister.
Zofia attended her father's military school along with her sister. While attending, she was pressured to perform on every level – a burden her younger sister was not able to cope with. During a school trip to the Masurian Lake District, Zofia was prey to a disturbing prank that almost cost her life. While she played in the lake, three boys from her class took turns trying to drown her, just for 'fun'. This violent experience marked her with a deep mistrust of others. The following week, she had to sit beside her assailants in class. To deal with her growing anxiety, she decided to push her training further, and ensure she could rely on her skills for protection. Her father agreed to show her more ruthless techniques, given she would never question his methods.
The next morning, he led Zofia to a shooting range where he had leashed two stray dogs to a target post. He informed her that one of the two dogs was sick and that she had to end its suffering. He then took his pocket watch out and gave her two minutes to make a decision. This was meant to teach her the skills necessary to survive any peril, and withstand dangerous situations. Her father's strict military training and his pocket watch would haunt her for years. While there were moments when she wanted to rebel against him, she also found comfort in the simple, black-and-white form of validation his system provided.
When Zofia hit legal age, she enlisted in the army. Among Zofia's most notable exploits is a rescue Operation in Guatemala, codenamed Red Agatha. A disastrous tropical storm formed a sinkhole in the middle of the city, swallowing an entire neighbourhood. Zofia was deployed to protect a team of engineers examining the perimeter. During a sudden landfall, she hitched a child over her back and ran as the ground disappeared from under her feet. The kid clung to her back and she gripped the edge with her bare hands for the next half hour as she hung over the abyss. To reward her special ability to withstand hardships, Zofia received a medal and was promoted to Second Lieutenant.
Throughout her experiences, Zofia forged a second family overseas. to have more impact on the field, she learned to trust her squad mates with her life, reconsidering the cruel lesson from the incident at Lakeland. Far away from her father's brutal training, Zofia let down her walls, developing close ties for the first time. She met her now-husband during a rogue operation in Mali, where they both mistook each other for hostiles.
Challenged by her squad mates on the field, she discovered the true kind of specialist she wanted to become. At the peak of her career, she flew back to Poland for her wedding ceremony. While she intended the event to be private, her father turned it into a marked celebration, reuniting the clique of politicians who took power after the assassination of Poland’s President. Zofia was shocked to see two former suspects among the crowd, embraced warmly by her father. She left the party early, feigning illness. While investigating what she’d seen, Zofia discovered she was pregnant. Taking an exceptionally early maternity leave. At the family home, Zofia kept her pregnancy hidden from her father. He committed suicide in the months that followed, though the circumstances surrounding his death were suspicious.
The birth of her daughter had a profound effect on Zofia, igniting her need to cocoon with her family – but Ela ignored all her attempts to reconcile. Zofia returned to the GROM soon after hearing Ela would pass the selection. Except for her attempts to reconnect with her sister, Zofia kept her distance with everyone else. Her squadron noticed this change and wondered if her recent obsession with her father's pocket watch was a remnant of grief, or something more.
When Ela accepted the prestigious offer to join Team Rainbow, Zofia saw no reason to stay behind. Everything about the GROM now seemed to remind her of her father. She used her contacts to reach Six personally, who agreed to meet her in Geneva. Three months later, Zofia became an official member of Team Rainbow.
- Underwent thorough examination, but remains inconclusive. Perhaps too experienced at falsifying test results.
- Significant divide between the two sisters.
- Their father had a key role in it. His obvious favoritism towards Zofia is well-known.
- When asked about their relationship growing up, Zofia kept her answers curt and non-committal.
- And yet, very protective of Ela.
- Refuses to discuss her father's suicide.
A Medium Armored Operator, Zofia has access to the KS79 LIFELINE, a double barrel launcher that can launch either impact grenades or concussion grenades.
- Zofia's KS79 LIFELINE has two Impact and Concussion Grenades. The LIFELINE is set to Impact Grenades by default and can switch between ammunition types on the fly using the fire mode key.
- The grenades are superposed, thus the LIFELINE requires no reloading process between shots.
- The grenades have no projectile size; they can pass through openings that are as small as a bullet hole.
- The Impact Grenades are much like normal Impact Grenades, dealing the same damage and type of destruction.
- There is a small arc to the grenade's flight trajectory.
- Concussion Grenades work like Ela's Grzmot Mines, causing visual and mobility disruption.
- Concussion Grenades detonate upon close proximity to an enemy. Otherwise, there is a delay before detonating. If they hit a surface, they will rebound.
- Zofia herself is resistant to the Concussion Effects. This means she can recover from Ela's Grzmot Mines and her own Concussion Grenades twice as fast compared to other Operators.
- When Zofia is downed, she can choose to Withstand, allowing her to pick herself up but with only 5% of the baseline health.
- Zofia takes roughly 5 seconds to use Withstand, which is almost twice as long compared to Doc's revive with his Stim Pistol (2.75 seconds). Compare this to when a teammate revives an allied operator, taking only 4 seconds.
- Zofia automatically presses down on her wounds, thus her bleedout time is maximized even if she moves around. This is because the usual interaction button for slowing blood loss is her Withstand ability instead.
- Zofia cannot use Withstand if she is downed by Frost's Welcome Mats.
- Finka's Adrenal Surge can allow Zofia to recover from the Concussive Effects even faster than normal with the 70% shorter recovery time. The Surge can also override the effect if activated afterwards.
- Like recovering normally, Zofia is left vulnerable whilst self-recovering with Withstand, leaving her open to enemy attack.
- Ela is also resistant to Concussion effects, allowing her to recover twice as fast like her sister.
- Jäger's Magpies can take out Zofia's grenades if they haven't detonated yet.
- "Double barrel launcher that can fire both concussion and impact grenades."
— In-game description
On the rare occasion Zofia was home alone with her younger sister, she would teach Ela some advanced non-lethal techniques and introduced her to concussion grenades. Those rogue lessons were their secret and represented Zofia's shy attempts to help Ela, who was struggling during high school.
While her father’s training made Zofia most comfortable with hand-to-hand combat and precision shooting, she discovered in the GROM the true kind of specialist she wanted to be. Favoring aggressive strikes, she volunteered to test trial the KS79 LIFELINE, a double barrel grenade launcher originating from an Italian R&D program.
KS79 LIFELINE makes use of electronically triggered projectile technology that can fire both concussion and impact ammunition. Since multiple grenades are superposed in the gun barrel, reloading magazines are no longer necessary, resulting in unmatched efficiency. The concussion ammunition delivers a 170-decibel shockwave that impairs hearing and causes a dizzying effect. The impact ammunition bulldozes walls in an instant, so brace yourselves for an explosive assault.
- In the context of an individual or an object, an 'anchor' provides stability or confidence in an otherwise uncertain situation. This matches Zofia's own character with her own perseverance and determination when it comes to both her military and personal life, the latter of which being her attempts to reconnect with Ela.
- The name used to occasionally describe Zofia's Impact Grenades, Filipinka, originate from an unofficial yet common name for the ET wz. 40 hand grenade. This grenade was used in the Home Army resistance movement during Poland's occupation from Nazi Germany in World War II. It was a cylindrical impact grenade, a profile that aptly describes Zofia's own Impact Grenades.
- Zofia has a unique line if she shoots one of her Grenades too close to herself.
- Killing Ela when playing as Zofia will award the "Sister Rivalry" bonus, adding 10 points to your score.
|Operators of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege|